• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toffee-type inclusion for white chocolate bar

cc.canuck

Hoping more experienced confectioners can help me to think of an English toffee-type confection to go into a white chocolate bar for a crunch line I'm working on. I've tried English toffee, treacle toffee (the skipping stones from Greweling), and honeycomb and they've all just been far too sweet.

I was going to try a peanut brittle inclusion next or perhaps Greweling's buttercrunch but thought I would seek some guidance first.

I don't know that you are going to find any toffee type inclusion that isn't tooth achingly sweet.  Perhaps if you add enough crunchy inclusions to a krokant (like rice crisps) you might dilute the sweet a bit? 

Toffee is going to be pretty darn sweet.  You could cut that slightly by adding as much butter as possible, extra salt, or something bitter or spicy like espresso or ginger. 

or cook the toffee darker ...

Edited by pastrygirl (log)