• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bacon Jam

lindag

My neighbor brought me a sample of the bacon jam she made.

I sniffed it and thought it was the best smelling stuff I'd ever come across.

Here us the recipe she used.

I'm making my own today!

• Like 7

Me and my wife both keep seeing that Sonic bacon jam burger commercial. We both thought it sounded disgusting. Now i am intrigued. Is Bacon Jam really good on a burger? I am definitely not going to make bacon jam till i at least try the Sonic bacon jam burger. Will i be disapointed?

Edited by FeChef (log)

When I heard bacon jam, my mind went to sugar and pectin, and recoiled.

Luckily, reading @lindag's recipe, it doesn't seem to be a jam at all. It's pretty much just an onion chutney, and that makes a lot more sense. I can imagine this being good with a burger.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FeChef said:

Me and my wife both keep seeing that Sonic bacon jam burger commercial. We both thought it sounded disgusting. Now i am intrigued. Is Bacon Jam really good on a burger? I am definitely not going to make bacon jam till i at least try the Sonic bacon jam burger. Will i be disapointed?

I doubt it.  My friend served her burgers with the jam and it was a hit with all her family.

• Like 1

Thank you, @lindag. I've transcribed the recipe and look forward to making it. It will have to wait until after our vacation since I do the shopping and packing.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

12 hours ago, lindag said:

I doubt it.  My friend served her burgers with the jam and it was a hit with all her family.

Thats not what i asked. I asked if i try this Sonic bacon jam burger will it be dissapointed? Im sure your jam is the "jam" but i dont want to waste expensive bacon to make a jam that my wife and I think sounded kinda gross in the sonic commercial. You feel what i am asking/saying?

Edited by FeChef (log)

18 minutes ago, FeChef said:

Thats not what i asked. I asked if i try this Sonic bacon jam burger will it be dissapointed? Im sure your jam is the "jam" but i dont want to waste expensive bacon to make a jam that my wife and I think sounded kinda gross in the sonic commercial. You feel what i am asking/saying?

Take a chance. Its just a burger.

You feel what I'm  asking /saying?

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 11:09 PM, FeChef said:

I haven't tasted Sonic's. All I can say is that someone who has eaten and loves mine didn't care for Sonic's version at all.  Not much help, I'm afraid.  I can say that I agree with @jmacnaughtan that it is more of an onion/bacon chutney than the name "Jam" implies.  

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:05 PM, gfweb said:

Take a chance. Its just a burger.

You feel what I'm  asking /saying?

On 5/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, Kim Shook said:

I haven't tasted Sonic's. All I can say is that someone who has eaten and loves mine didn't care for Sonic's version at all.  Not much help, I'm afraid.  I can say that I agree with @jmacnaughtan that it is more of an onion/bacon chutney than the name "Jam" implies.  

Well apparently Sonic got rid of the Bacon Jam burger May 2nd, so i guess i'll never know. Oh well.

• Sad 2

On 5/18/2021 at 10:09 PM, FeChef said:

I will testify to my bacon jam recipe, which @Kim Shook quotes. You can use whatever kind of chile powder floats your boat; ancho is not that hot, but I've used guajillo and pequeno when I've been out of ancho. The amount of chile listed is not enough to have much strength against the other strong tastes. I WILL advise to be certain your coffee is STRONG.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, kayb said:

I will testify to my bacon jam recipe, which @Kim Shook quotes. You can use whatever kind of chile powder floats your boat; ancho is not that hot, but I've used guajillo and pequeno when I've been out of ancho. The amount of chile listed is not enough to have much strength against the other strong tastes. I WILL advise to be certain your coffee is STRONG.

What do you consider strong brewed coffee? I use instant. about 1 TBSP per 12 oz coffee mug. I stopped using my Kurieg as the K cups are too weak for my taste.

• Like 1

Well, all this bacon jam chat got me in the mood for it.  So a couple of days ago I started a batch.  Bacon fried and set aside and onions and brown sugar started:

IMG_6026.jpg.efb8bff0169988d67ed64b5fff0d25fa.jpg

Onions and seasonings cooked down a bit:

IMG_6027.jpg.0f06e9718956a4e276fce8e0a87f026a.jpg

With the liquids added:

IMG_6028.jpg.01c56fe733837be3e809cbbcaba182cb.jpg

Gorgeous, intense, sticky, gooeyness:

IMG_6031.jpg.f4cc064f76fd4c67b988cf2065e338ef.jpg

After a spin in the Cuisinart:

IMG_6033.thumb.jpg.325d3729e004d63892c6e41b6e5e13a0.jpg

(Note to self:  From here on out always make double batches.)

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't make my bacon jam until yesterday because I wanted some really good jalapeno bacon that I can only get from a meat packing shop in another town.

So I cooked it up and spread some on my grilled burger last night.

OMG!!!  What a revelation!  The best burger I've ever had.  

Now I need to go buy more of that bacon and make a double batch.

I assume it would freeze well?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lindag said:

I didn't make my bacon jam until yesterday because I wanted some really good jalapeno bacon that I can only get from a meat packing shop in another town.

Jalapeno bacon?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  Tell me more, please.

36 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Jalapeno bacon?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  Tell me more, please.

I really don't know.  It was recommended to me by my friend.  I do know that, the jalapeno component aside, it is really high quality bacon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lindag said:

It freezes beautifully.  So glad you took the plunge and that you liked it.  

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2021 at 9:27 AM, lindag said:

You can also water-bath can it if you've a notion.

• Thanks 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 9 months later...

Tonight I’m making bacon jam again. I kind of forgot about it over the winter. I can’t get over how wonderful it smells while it’s cooking. I made Some big dinner rolls and I think it will go really well with those for a lunch or a simple breakfast. Best thing is using it for hamburgers. I’m gonna have to get some more jalapeño bacon.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, lindag said:

Tonight I’m making bacon jam again. I kind of forgot about it over the winter. I can’t get over how wonderful it smells while it’s cooking. I made Some big dinner rolls and I think it will go really well with those for a lunch or a simple breakfast. Best thing is using it for hamburgers. I’m gonna have to get some more jalapeño bacon.

You can buy jalapeño bacon?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

You can buy jalapeño bacon?

It appears you can. I just found this at H-E-B, for instance. Since that's a Texas grocery store chain it doesn't do you any good, but I may be able to buy some in a week or two. If so, I'll report back!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown