• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

It's not what I wanted. I wanted fresh - one of my favourite  vegetables. But I've learned here in China to make the best of any surprises that turns up. I can buy it fresh, but only online which involves a three day wait, minimum. I wanted it today! Yesterday, the local overpriced, state owned, department store's imported food section had this.

Beetroot.thumb.jpg.59d71a1b09a5949c34fce7dc60572b1e.jpg

I bought it as an emergency stand-in, and I know what I'll do with it, but it has got me wondering.

How do other people use pickled beetroot? Any interesting suggestions?

P.S. Just ordered some fresh. The seller is in Shanghai which is far away. And the minimum order was for 2.5 kg. Expect beet overkill from me in the next week!

liuzhou

liuzhou

It's not what I wanted. I wanted fresh - one of my favourite  vegetables. But I've learned here in China to make the best of any surprises that turns up. I can buy it fresh, but only online which involves a three day wait, minimum. I wanted it today! Yesterday, the local overpriced, state owned, department store's imported food section had this.

Beetroot.thumb.jpg.59d71a1b09a5949c34fce7dc60572b1e.jpg

I bought it as an emergency stand-in, and I know what I'll do with it, but it has got me wondering.

How do other people use pickled beetroot? Any interesting suggestions?

P.S. Just ordered some fresh. The seller is in Shanghai which is far away. And the minimum order was for 2.5 kg. Expect beet overkill from me in the next week!