• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A simple yet elegant Japanese rice dish, Takikomi

cteavin

This was a staple in university because I had no time to cook and no stomach for junk food. I would put everything in the rice cooker and have something warm to eat ready all day long.

Here is a video so that you can easily understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UCXQcRQdU

One recipe done in a slightly different order gives you two of Japan's easiest rice dishes, this one is called TAKIKOMI the other is MAZE GOHAN

3 cups Rice 

Shiitake Mushrooms (4 or 5)

Seasonal Mushrooms (1/2 - 1 cup)

1 Carrot

1/2 cup sliced Burdock Root (Gobo -- any seasonal vegetable)

1 pack Konkyaku (has no flavor, adds texture, can omit)

2 fried tofu (abura age) (adds texture and protein, can omit)

200 grams Chicken (preferably leg meat)

2 tablespoons Soy Sauce

2 tablespoons Mirin (or 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons sake)2 tablespoons Sake (this is said to negate any odor)

Salt to taste

3 cups Dashi

(note: the amount of vegetables and chicken is not precisely measured but ratio of rice to dashi is always 1 cup rice to 1 cup dashi. And, myself, I'm a bit carb-phobic, so I only use one cup rice.)

1. 1. Wash the rice and set aside. Doing this will partly hydrate the rice which is said to improve the texture and flavor.

2. Slice the vegetables and set aside. 
(note: some people put the sliced burdock in water to remove bitterness and/or prevent oxidation)

3. Boil the konyaku and 'fried tofu' separately. Drain, slice, and set aside.

4. Slice the chicken, with skin, into bite sized pieces and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sake. 

5. Prepare your dashi.

6. Now that all of your ingredients are ready, combine them either in a rice cooker or a deep sauce pan. 

7. The rice MUST go into the pan first. Make sure it is evenly spread along the bottom.

8. Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot in any order but do not mix.

9. Add the dashi. 

10. Set into your rice cooker. (Japanese rice cookers will have a special setting labeled 炊き込み.)

11. If you are using a stovetop, without stirring the pot, bring it to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 13 minutes, then turn off the heat. Do not open the pot. Let it steam for an additional 15 minutes.

12. Stir the takikomi rice and serve. 

takikomi -Edit.png

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I've never 'cooked' anything mixed in my rice cooker.  So far just rice or quinoa.  This looks like a good start.

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

15 hours ago, cteavin said:

This was a staple in university because I had no time to cook and no stomach for junk food. I would put everything in the rice cooker and have something warm to eat ready all day long.

Here is a video so that you can easily understand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UCXQcRQdU

One recipe done in a slightly different order gives you two of Japan's easiest rice dishes, this one is called TAKIKOMI the other is MAZE GOHAN

3 cups Rice 

Shiitake Mushrooms (4 or 5)

Seasonal Mushrooms (1/2 - 1 cup)

1 Carrot

1/2 cup sliced Burdock Root (Gobo -- any seasonal vegetable)

1 pack Konkyaku (has no flavor, adds texture, can omit)

2 fried tofu (abura age) (adds texture and protein, can omit)

200 grams Chicken (preferably leg meat)

2 tablespoons Soy Sauce

2 tablespoons Mirin (or 1 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoons sake)2 tablespoons Sake (this is said to negate any odor)

Salt to taste

3 cups Dashi

(note: the amount of vegetables and chicken is not precisely measured but ratio of rice to dashi is always 1 cup rice to 1 cup dashi. And, myself, I'm a bit carb-phobic, so I only use one cup rice.)

1. 1. Wash the rice and set aside. Doing this will partly hydrate the rice which is said to improve the texture and flavor.

2. Slice the vegetables and set aside. 
(note: some people put the sliced burdock in water to remove bitterness and/or prevent oxidation)

3. Boil the konyaku and 'fried tofu' separately. Drain, slice, and set aside.

4. Slice the chicken, with skin, into bite sized pieces and add the soy sauce, mirin, and sake. 

5. Prepare your dashi.

6. Now that all of your ingredients are ready, combine them either in a rice cooker or a deep sauce pan. 

7. The rice MUST go into the pan first. Make sure it is evenly spread along the bottom.

8. Place the rest of the ingredients into the pot in any order but do not mix.

9. Add the dashi. 

10. Set into your rice cooker. (Japanese rice cookers will have a special setting labeled 炊き込み.)

11. If you are using a stovetop, without stirring the pot, bring it to a boil then cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 13 minutes, then turn off the heat. Do not open the pot. Let it steam for an additional 15 minutes.

12. Stir the takikomi rice and serve. 

takikomi -Edit.png

Looks good. I like your video, too 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 1:02 AM, Darienne said:

I've never 'cooked' anything mixed in my rice cooker.  So far just rice or quinoa.  This looks like a good start.

You know, if your rice cooker is from Japan, there will be a function specifically for this specific style of rice. You'll see the characters 炊き込み or たきこみ in the menu or on the face of the rice cooker. Just in case you have have one, I thought I'd let you know. :)