• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jiffy love

heidih

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

There are cookie mixes, various muffin mixes, cake mixes, etc. I haven't looked on the website to see if they still make all of them. This cookbooklet was published in 2004, I think.

Jiffy cook Book.jpg

Jiffy history.jpg

Jiffy recipes.jpg

Wow!  I know I've seen the biscuit mix, but I'm not sure I've seen all the other stuff besides the cornbread.  Here's what they still sell.  I remember Martha White cake mixes, but not Jiffy's.  They were awful and only made one layer.  

On 6/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, blue_dolphin said:

I happened on this article,  How an Award-Winning Pastry Chef Doctors Up Boxed Cornbread, in which chef Kelly Fields offers a bunch of both savory and sweet Jiffy tweaks. 

I got some Jiffy cornbread mix from Amazon.  I read through the article and while she states the mix-in quantities, she doesn't say how much of the mix to use.  Any idea?  If not, I could probably just wing it.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I got some Jiffy cornbread mix from Amazon.  I read through the article and while she states the mix-in quantities, she doesn't say how much of the mix to use.  Any idea?  If not, I could probably just wing it.

This sentence leads me to believe that she's using the whole box:

“Start with one (8½-ounce) box of Jiffy corn muffin mix. Just follow the package instructions, using egg and milk, unless I’ve instructed otherwise.” 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

This sentence leads me to believe that she's using the whole box:

Well, for heaven's sake!  I can't believe I read the whole thing and missed that sentence.  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Wow!  I know I've seen the biscuit mix, but I'm not sure I've seen all the other stuff besides the cornbread.  Here's what they still sell.  I remember Martha White cake mixes, but not Jiffy's.  They were awful and only made one layer.  

I think they used to have a full range of cake flavors but now only a yellow cake mix. My mom always kept some of the Jiffy cake mixes on hand exactly because they only made one layer.  It was perfect for this type of 11" flan/tart pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with a fairly deep indent for the filling of your choice.  Mom generally used a layer of pudding, topped with fruit and edged with whipped cream. Fresh fruit ruled in the summer but a chocolate cake could be topped chocolate pudding and cherry pie filling, spice cake with banana pudding and banana slices.  It was her signature pot-luck contribution and always well received.  I shared a photo of her in her 90's making one of these creations over in this post on Cake Memories.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I think they used to have a full range of cake flavors but now only a yellow cake mix. My mom always kept some of the Jiffy cake mixes on hand exactly because they only made one layer.  It was perfect for this type of 11" flan/tart pan (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) with a fairly deep indent for the filling of your choice.  Mom generally used a layer of pudding, topped with fruit and edged with whipped cream. Fresh fruit ruled in the summer but a chocolate cake could be topped chocolate pudding and cherry pie filling, spice cake with banana pudding and banana slices.  It was her signature pot-luck contribution and always well received.  I shared a photo of her in her 90's making one of these creations over in this post on Cake Memories.

Thank you for sharing that. I love the photos of your Mom!

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

20 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I had completely forgotten that thread!  Thank you so much for linking to it.  Those are the topics that I love the best at eG.  The ones that tell a story and connect food and people.  Love the picture of your mom!

• Like 2

I just had an odd result. Regular cornbread mix I decided to do with no adds or changes other than almond milk (plain) as no milk here. That sub has never been an issue. Smells great, tastes good BUT it is super crumbly. Not over or under baked. Using a spoon with my garlic shrimp. So odd.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

• 1 month later...

I’ll take Jiffy any day.  Always comes out good.  A little sweet but I’m just fine with that.  I’m use to sweet cornbread.  I like to add some fresh corn off the cob for texture or even creamed corn.  It’s all good 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

I’ll take Jiffy any day.  Always comes out good.  A little sweet but I’m just fine with that.  I’m use to sweet cornbread.  I like to add some fresh corn off the cob for texture or even creamed corn.  It’s all good 

Or add diced jalapeño

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Today's excellent rendition with grated zucchini, bit of green can parm stuff to salt the zuke, and the dregs of some yogurt based Green Goddess for a bit of dairy and added liquid. Wonderful smell. Stepmother walked in from what she described as the worst restaurant meal of her life and said "what is that good smell?". Sis emerged from pre meeting stuff and her nose directed her to pan. Really good with the herbal add. Sis learned about Jiffy and will try to bring some back to Sydney,. I said even the GRITS use it - puzzled look - shed learned a new expression ;) 

cornbread gr goddess.JPG

• Like 6

@heidih  That looks really good.  I used a package of Jiffy yesterday to make corn spoon bread.  It was the basic recipe from the Jiffy site, eggs, sour cream, butter, creamed corn and niblets.  I think that was it.  As I was eating it I was wondering where this had been all my life.  We can't buy Jiffy in the stores here so I  got it from Amazon.   

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

@heidih  That looks really good.  I used a package of Jiffy yesterday to make corn spoon bread.  It was the basic recipe from the Jiffy site, eggs, sour cream, butter, creamed corn and niblets.  I think that was it.  As I was eating it I was wondering where this had been all my life.  We can't buy Jiffy in the stores here so I  got it from Amazon.   

Sister hoping to get some past Aussie customs when she flies back

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie came home from his cousins house a while back and said Becky made it using one each of these and he said it was really good. I make it that way now from time to time.

20210829_180657.jpg

I'm thinking that would yield more like Marie Callender's style. The joys of cooking - catering to our personal tastes. Even sis today laughed and said oh yes when I mentioned it - served with whipped honey butter. She had not had it in over 35 years. Food memories run deep.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

Charlie came home from his cousins house a while back and said Becky made it using one each of these and he said it was really good. I make it that way now from time to time.

20210829_180657.jpg

If I'm reading this right, you mix the two together?  To make muffins?

44 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

If I'm reading this right, you mix the two together?  To make muffins?

Yes, you mix the two together, add the ingredients on both package directions and bake until done. It makes about twice as many as one package.   Google yellow cake cornbread for several recipe directions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• 1 month later...

Grocery chains are already gearing for US Thanksgiving? Flour, sugar and...Jiffy mix (2 for $1) - bit early- maybe anticipating the shortage fear purchasing. Did today as I've described with zuke and yogurt, pus poultry seasoning and torn fresh basil. Very fluffy  - I like a gritty cornbread but this is good. The woman packing my groceries is usually a cashier but it was so slow early morning she was bagging. She held the box up to to me and said "the best". I think based on her "accent" she is a GRITS. Cute. Told her the yogurt twist.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lindag said:

The story around here is that there may not be any turkeys for Thanksgiving this year.

Awfully glad mine is residing in my freezer.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 7 months later...

Had a craving and there was a box in the pantry. Added one extra egg white, used my favorite full fat plain yogurt for the dairy, a dash of green can parm and poultry seasoning, and masses of vibrant cilantro well minced. The tang of the yogurt and scent of the fresh herb - so nice. I ate half the pan and abandoned my salmon. It will go in a salad tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

Had a craving and there was a box in the pantry. Added one extra egg white, used my favorite full fat plain yogurt for the dairy, a dash of green can parm and poultry seasoning, and masses of vibrant cilantro well minced. The tang of the yogurt and scent of the fresh herb - so nice. I ate half the pan and abandoned my salmon. It will go in a salad tomorrow.

I have a handful of Jiffy (or equivalent) cornbread packages from over a year ago, and still haven't used them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown