• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jiffy love

heidih

I can make scratch cornbread but like that box in the pantry. Today was power outage for maintenance but I grabbed a box and made a meal of it after they started up the new pole adding spinach and cottage cheese, to me - it is comfort. You?

https://www.vons.com/shop/product-details.113300054.html?

• Like 5

I make my self proclaimed corn bread pudding with Jiffy. I get asked to make it every thanksgiving.

Frozen Corn and creamed corn and  Nutmeg is my secret ingredient.

Edited by FeChef (log)
  • Like 2

Count me in as a Jiffy person.  I used to pick it up whenever we went south of the border as i couldn't find it here.  Haven't done that now in a long while now, but I've put it on my list and will look for it next time I'm out.

• Like 2

My Dad was from Alabama, and there, I'm told, cornbread does not contain sugar.

As kids, it tasted like eating plain cornmeal.  I'll take Jiffy any time.

• Like 2

I think Jiffy strikes a balance.  Trader Joes and Marie Calleneders taste as sweet as birthday cake to me and bit low on the corn element.

• Like 3

Made in Michigan! -- and still a family-owned and -operated company. It's in Chelsea, near Ann Arbor, which also is home for actor Jeff Daniels. He's done a lot to support the city, including founding the Purple Rose Theatre Company.

• Like 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

14 hours ago, heidih said:

I can make scratch cornbread but like that box in the pantry. Today was power outage for maintenance but I grabbed a box and made a meal of it after they started up the new pole adding spinach and cottage cheese, to me - it is comfort. You?

How much spinach and cottage cheese please?

14 hours ago, FeChef said:

I make my self proclaimed corn bread pudding with Jiffy. I get asked to make it every thanksgiving.

Recipe please?

15 hours ago, FeChef said:

Ditto, though I never tried nutmeg. Ought to be good, though. Mine's a box of Jiffy, can of creamed corn, small pkg frozen corn, 2 eggs, 8 oz sour cream, 1/2 stick melted butter. That about like yours?

For cornbread, though, I tend toward Martha White Self-rising Cornmeal Mix. Right proportion of flour. No sugar. I will "cheat" with it, gluten or no, from time to time. I've made GF cornbread with GF baking mix. It'll do...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@TdeVI approximated the milk volume with the cottage cheese, It was stiff so I added a touch of water (no milk in house) to loosen it. The spinach was frozen from bag I did toss the generous handful in a bowl and nuke it with a damp paper towel on top. Can ya tell I don't use a scale though all my Austrian baked goodies are by weight. I do the same with pumpkin -approximate moist ingredient level. The pumpkin is nice with grated cheese like Romano in the batter. Kinda nice if I have open coconut milk to use that instead of milk. The frozen char grilled corn kernels one can get at places like Trader Joes are a nice add too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Never thought about cream cheese in it. Bet that's good.

You should try it. You could also do half sour cream half cream cheese to see if you like it as they mix well together. I think the cream cheese makes it obviously a bit sweeter and creamier and with the combination of nutmeg it just goes good together. I always consider it a dessert like i consider candied yams w/marshmellows a dessert.

• Like 3

I love Jiffy! I usually add in a handful of shredded cheddar and one of those little cans of chopped Hatch green chiles. I tried the Trader Joe's cornbread mix once. ONCE. It really did taste reminiscent of box-mix birthday cake as heidih said - I would swear it even had vanilla in it! It was terrible with chili, I can tell you that much.

• Like 3

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

• 3 weeks later...

@blue_dolphin Thanks for the link. I've pretty much done all those variations over the years except the pumpkin. I was thinking of taking my pantry box in a sweet direction as I am out of sweets to have with tea. The can of pumpkin I bought last fall for Christmas pumpkin bread has been giving me the stink-eye as I did not bake in 2020. Will give it a go. I have used kabocha squash before but with cheese in a savory way. Since we are approaching zucchini season I also grate them, do not wring out, and use as the moisture element adjusted with a touch o milk. It does well with a stronger grated cheese like Asiago. .

• Like 4

another add-in I like that is simple but packs an allium bunch - sprinkle in fried shallots; like you get at Asian or Indian markets in a plastic container.

• Like 4

I found my Jiffy cook booklet. I remember now being amazed at how many different types of mix they make that I have never seen. I'd guess they can be ordered online, but haven't checked. I'll post some of the more "interesting" recipes when I get upstairs to the pC.

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

At the market this morning I checked the Jiffy shelf and was reminded about the vegetarian version of the cornbread. Yup - original contains lard in some fashion and vegetarian uses...vegetable shortening.