• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much plastic packaging do your area's grocery stores and supermarkets use?

cteavin

This is me coming back from the supermarket a little while ago. 

(I'm not trying to bash any country, I'm just curious how deeply envioronmentalism is impacting the every day.)

470970966_bountifulharvest.thumb.png.9f4ad94128f5d7fb1c10c3a15459f723.png

Supermarkets in China are mostly the same. Even if veg etc isn't pre-wrapped, the weighing station staff are going to seal it in a plastic bag, 99% of the time.

In wet markets, nothing is pre-wrapped and you can refuse the offered bags more easily.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Most fruits and vegetables displayed in the produce department are unwrapped. Anything that arrives on the check-out belt without a plastic bag is inserted into one before it goes into your shopping bag.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

In the local Hmart (Korean) that I used to frequent before I moved, just about everything was wrapped in plastic and preweighed.  It was always a pain because I don't always need a pound of Thai chillies... most time a small handful would do.

• Like 2

That's a sad amount of unnecessary plastic.   You'd think the Japanese would be a little further along.  In our big stores, unless portioned, it's out in the open and up to the shopper to place in free produce plastic bags, which can be avoided if you have your own bags.  I see more and more shoppers doing this. 

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

In the local Hmart (Korean) that I used to frequent before I moved, just about everything was wrapped in plastic and preweighed.  It was always a pain because I don't always need a pound of Thai chillies... most time a small handful would do.

Yes here as well and at Nijiya. Part of my pull back from HMart. I think it is a perception of cleanliness thing. Like washing/scrubbing meat etc.   Also speeds up check out and at leat here thetrend is to almost all self-check out

Edited by heidih (log)

18 minutes ago, heidih said:

Yes here as well and at Nijiya. Part of my pull back from HMart. I think it is a perception of cleanliness thing. Like washing/scrubbing meat etc.   Also speeds up check out and at leat here thetrend is to almost all self-check out

Yeah, in this store (right in the middle of Manhattan) where space is at a premium and it's always crowded, I think they do it to speed things along - both in the produce selection and in the check out.  I gather that in the larger stores in northern NJ, they have more that's open to selection.

38 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Yeah, in this store (right in the middle of Manhattan) where space is at a premium and it's always crowded, I think they do it to speed things along - both in the produce selection and in the check out.  I gather that in the larger stores in northern NJ, they have more that's open to selection.

Agreed, mine in Hartsdale, 90% unwrapped (but not your chilies, at least the small ones : )

That wasn't chicken

50 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I gather that in the larger stores in northern NJ, they have more that's open to selection.

Yes, at the ones I've been to, most everything is open for inspection.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Granted, I has been more than a decade since I lived in Japan, but I think you might be shopping in the wrong supermarkets and not bringing your shopping bags. These are not premium items, and cut up & plastic wrap have never been the standard at the markets I‘ve frequented ...

9 hours ago, cteavin said:

This is me coming back from the supermarket a little while ago. 

(I'm not trying to bash any country, I'm just curious how deeply envioronmentalism is impacting the every day.)

470970966_bountifulharvest.thumb.png.9f4ad94128f5d7fb1c10c3a15459f723.png

That looks like cut squash (kabocha?) in the foreground. IMO, it's understandable that pre-cut vegetables / fruits would be plastic-wrapped. I'm horrible at picking out stuff like watermelon, so I buy the cut fruit (so I can see the inside). That's always plastic-wrapped.

I've seen worse use of plastic, e.g., apples from Costco (packed in those multiple clamshell plastic containers).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MokaPot said:

That looks like cut squash (kabocha?) in the foreground. IMO, it's understandable that pre-cut vegetables / fruits would be plastic-wrapped. I'm horrible at picking out stuff like watermelon, so I buy the cut fruit (so I can see the inside). That's always plastic-wrapped.

I've seen worse use of plastic, e.g., apples from Costco (packed in those multiple clamshell plastic containers).

Yeah, that's kabocha. 

The "worse" one for me are individually wrapped bananas. I don't pay attention to much else but that one, and the individually wrapped cookies, get me. :)

• Like 1

The situation has changed due to Covid, since it (wrapping items) was perceived as a safety measure, even Whole Foods has all of their rolls, bagels, and other self-serve pastries in individual plastic bags, which drives me crazy. Aside from the environmental issue, the texture is compromised...no such thing as a roll with crunchy exterior. At least the produce remains out in bins for selection.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Here is a selection of fruit and veg at my local supermarket this morning. Everything is plastic wrapped.  Some items are double wrapped.

20210515_113558.thumb.jpg.6b2f55056c6be823198f4c225358b3ab.jpg

'Baby' Pumpkins

20210515_113627.thumb.jpg.d8878a42d84e926ef420a1c3582ab79e.jpg

Sweet red potatoes

20210515_113638.thumb.jpg.37c442608b14d6b3a6b4954a11afd5eb.jpg

Regular potatoes

20210515_113717.thumb.jpg.aa4fd43cf8fac2e1ff7e91b0ce428815.jpg

Tomatoes

20210515_113733.thumb.jpg.e3fcb6137428375b81465b21a43debdd.jpg

Onions

20210515_113653.thumb.jpg.b2ae5e84efb1144e17d5b1e2cb7d8d3f.jpg

Garlic

20210515_113816.thumb.jpg.b529f63d29aaaacdaa75d2aba374b26e.jpg

Assorted Greenery

20210515_113836.thumb.jpg.18081a23e3a905080dd0e7ae7be752c8.jpg

Chili Peppers

20210515_113850.thumb.jpg.7aea8e3c5cb959cd1d5ffc5809050b72.jpg

Carrots

20210515_114520.thumb.jpg.4fcb38f2e17f3a77ee86f7b3944183c0.jpg

Peaches

20210515_114615.thumb.jpg.45c4e564df8e59198405241a7d0e6620.jpg

Various Mushrooms

20210515_114621.thumb.jpg.e03e235afd6b98376eca24c451bfc154.jpg

Shiitake

and  worst of all

20210515_114531.thumb.jpg.40dcc15ed618a342a4b0010efeb7cf2a.jpg

Bananas

There is separate section of loose product, but you can guarantee the people on the  weigh station are going to wrap it in plastic anyway, so you can't win.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

There is separate section of loose product, but you can guarantee the people on the  weigh station are going to wrap it in plastic anyway, so you can't win.

Sheesh! But since I haven’t been inside a supermarket or store of any kind since sometime in early 2020 it may well be that we have the same thing here.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sheesh! But since I haven’t been inside a supermarket or store of any kind since sometime in early 2020 it may well be that we have the same thing here.

What I described is not pandemic related. They've always been the same.

They are now obliged to charge a tax for plastic bags at the checkouts, but you just end up using them to trash all the unnecessary plastic you fill them with!

• Haha 1

Here, it is the mass marketers (Costco, TJ, Smart and Final) that pre-wrap and weigh produce.    Otherwise, one can collect produce without using plastic bags, take it to check-out, put it in your own shopping bag or basket.    More and more stores are providing compostable produce bags, which you can use at home if your community offers compost pick-up.    While i love these philosophically, if you use them to store produce in your fridge, they tend to absorb moisture and prematurely decompose.    Most farmer's markets do not provide plastic bags, or scornfully provide them if you request one.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What I described is not pandemic related. They've always been the same.

They are now obliged to charge a tax for plastic bags at the checkouts, but you just end up using them to trash all the unnecessary plastic you fill them with!

Our garbage service picks up and (supposedly) recycles clean plastic bags and wrapping if collected in a larger plastic "carrier" bag.

eGullet member #80.

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Most farmer's markets do not provide plastic bags, or scornfully provide them if you request one.

Interesting. Here if you stop at a stall they open the plastic bag for you and proffer it

post-52659-0-68944100-1304281113.jpg

• Like 1