• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

We have a large market nearby. Not part of a chain.  I'm disgusted by the sanitation in the fish and meat depts and cannot imagine how it passes inspection.

I'll only buy stuff sealed in jars in that place.

My guess is it's not an H-Mart.  We have stores like that in Chinatown that are totally gross. 

H-Marts and Mitsuwa (the two chain stores I have experience with) are in my experience quite well maintained.  I mean, you could eat off the floor in Mitsuwa. 

weinoo

weinoo

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

We have a large market nearby. Not part of a chain.  I'm disgusted by the sanitation in the fish and meat depts and cannot imagine how it passes inspection.

I'll only buy stuff sealed in jars in that place.

My guess is it's not an H-Mart.  We have stores like that in Chinatown that are totally gross. 

H-Marts and Mitsuwa (the two chain stores I have experience with) are in my experience, quite well maintained.  I mean, you could eat off the floor in Mitsuwa.