• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wok Tools – What Do You Use?

weinoo

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

You had one for many years⁈⁈

You should see how long I keep a sponge! 

Only kidding - remember, I wasn't a daily wok user, so they lasted; probably longer than they should have.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

22 minutes ago, weinoo said:

You should see how long I keep a sponge! 

Only kidding - remember, I wasn't a daily wok user, so they lasted; probably longer than they should have.

Hmm. I don't think I want to know your sponge habits.

I get through a bamboo brush about every two weeks, but I do use my woks at least once a day; usually more.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

13 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Hmm. I don't think I want to know your sponge habits.

Now, I'm much better - they get replaced frequently, and can even go into the dishwasher! And I use a fresh, clean micro fiber dish thing every day!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The brushes used to be standard part of a wok kit (as seen on TV). Like @weinoo give me a green scrubbie or the one with blue scrubbie on one side and sponge other side. I like the bamboo one as a decorative element in the utensil holder-pot. 

5 minutes ago, KennethT said:

It seem like the guys in the local takeout joints here use stainless steel scouring pads that they move around with the ladle to swish the water around.

Yeah, that's common here, too. I do it when I am finished cooking all the dishes. Between dishes I usually use the bamboo brush.

It kinda depends on what I am cooking, though.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Yeah, that's common here, too. I do it when I am finished cooking all the dishes. Between dishes I usually use the bamboo brush.

Ah. This I did not know. I guess it is sort of like the way we wipe out a nonstick pan with a paper towel between dishes or steps. I admit I never understood its purpose. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...

I found a 12" bamboo steamer at a yard sale a couple decades ago. A ticket on it's carrying bag said it was made in 1982. I always put it in an inch of water in an old enamel lobster pot and it finally unraveled.

I just got this 10" model today from Amazon and it's already upped my game: a steaming ring fits my carbon steel wok perfectly...

902503240_IMG_20220908_1517119032.thumb.jpg.d970ec1db12cecb384f2f2e72b737a74.jpg

• Like 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

On 9/8/2022 at 3:50 PM, johnnyd said:

I just got this 10" model today from Amazon and it's already upped my game: a steaming ring fits my carbon steel wok perfectly...

Thankfully they are all sent here I suppose. I've had mine, 2 sizes for years. A 2 stack and a 3 stack. A couple years ago added another size. Efficiently can steam a few things at once. Straight to the table and keeps contents warm. I like that they absorb the steam/moisture so no drippage onto the food as it steams. 

Also, an easy transport of spring rolls or sushi or an appetizer to a friends gathering. I can't think of anything that does it all so well.