• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, Kerala said:

Thank you! I need to go and do some research. I was under the impression that the round shape of a wok made it unsuitable for use on induction hobs. 

It has become very difficult in recent years to find round bottomed woks, even here in China. Most department stores, supermarkets and other domestic kitchen supply shops etc only stock the (at least slightly) flat bottomed type.

The reason is very simple. Induction cookers. Whereas in the past people used gas burners for the ever-popular table top hotpot style of cooking (even in restaurants), it quickly became apparant that free standing induction cookers were more convenient and safer. I'd say that that's what 90% of people use now.

It is still possible to buy the traditional type, but only in artisan craft shops or professional, restaurant suppliers' places - sometimes not even there.

I have both types.

liuzhou

liuzhou

49 minutes ago, Kerala said:

Thank you! I need to go and do some research. I was under the impression that the round shape of a wok made it unsuitable for use on induction hobs. 

It has become very difficult in recent years to find round bottomed woks, even here in China. Most department stores, supermarkets and other domestic kitchen supply shops etc only stock the (at least slightly) flat bottomed type.

The reason is very simple. Induction cookers. Whereas in the past people used gas burners for the ever-popular table top hotpot style of cooking (even in restaurants), it quickly became apparant that free standing induction cookers were more convenient and safer. I'd say that that's what 90% of people use now.

It is still possible to buy the traditional type, but only in artisan craft shops or professional, restaurant suppliers places - sometimes not even there.

I have both types.