• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

V8

heidih

• There is the classic V8 and places like Trader Joes have copycats. For years I kept it in my pantry as the base for a quick soup - add  hot sauce and maybe cottage cheese or/or croutons - a happy snack or meal. Am I the only one ?
  • Like 3

I don't keep V8 in house these days but fifty years ago I would make a mean pasta sauce from V8, garlic, and a can of tomato paste.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

V8 tastes like celery.

Yes which as a former ED person tweaks me but it is better than buying a head for some apps. Just like I can do lovage in a soup. but not full on classic celery.  Some probably use it in bloody mary cocktail?

@gfweb 

it does taste like celery , a flavor I don't mind at all

at least they strain out the stalks.

I used to like both version , a long long long time ago

then I realized its one of many NaCl bombes in the supermarket

well before i has to start taking a mild diuretic 

Tj's has a version , it has a bit les salt.

I meke my own tomato juice from tomato paste  

no salt .  two small cans , or one double can 

you dan do the math if you like

make a fine tomato juice.  I add green tobacco , some finely ground

TJ's salt free 21 herb salute  , and a little olive oil ( Kalamata )

over the top in the glass  

Ice cold of course , w lots of ice.

very nice.   I use a different salt, which has been mentioned before.

I love V8.  As juice.  No need to turn it into soup or pasta sauce. Does make a fine bloody mary if you dump enough horseradish into it.  It beats tomato juices because it is savory and not sweet.  Sweet tomato juice is vile. 

Edited by cdh (log)
  • Like 3

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

A long time ago, I had a recipe for gazpacho that started with V8. It was fine, if you like the sort of gazpacho with pureed mixed vegetables. These days, I prefer Clamato to V8 (and use it in a sauce for a Mexican-style shrimp cocktail).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, JAZ said:

A long time ago, I had a recipe for gazpacho that started with V8. It was fine, if you like the sort of gazpacho with pureed mixed vegetables. These days, I prefer Clamato to V8 (and use it in a sauce for a Mexican-style shrimp cocktail).

I too am a Clamato fan, especially the spicy one.  V8 not so much.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cdh said:

I love V8.  As juice.  No need to turn it into soup or pasta sauce. Does make a fine bloody mary if you dump enough horseradish into it.  It beats tomato juices because it is savory and not sweet.  Sweet tomato juice is vile. 

Husband counts his V8 Bloody Mary as his vegetable.   I don’t disagree.

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

15 hours ago, heidih said:
  • There is the classic V8 and places like Trader Joes have copycats. For years I kept it in my pantry as the base for a quick soup - add  hot sauce and maybe cottage cheese or/or croutons - a happy snack or meal. Am I the only one ?

I add plain Greek yogurt. With a grilled cheese on the side.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, JAZ said:

Clamato, especially the extra spicy version, beats the pants off V8 any day. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I truly detest V8 and tomato juice.  Like retching when I try to taste it detest.  There was a dark, dark time in my life when my mother and I joined Weight Watchers in the mid 1970s.  At that point WW was all about no carbs, so their version of spaghetti was boiled mung bean sprouts with cooked down tomato juice/V8 as the sauce.  As an adult, I am perfectly fine with V8 as an ingredient for Quick Tomato Consommé and this Gazpacho.  But drink it????  Horrors.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I truly detest V8 and tomato juice.  Like retching when I try to taste it detest.  There was a dark, dark time in my life when my mother and I joined Weight Watchers in the mid 1970s.  At that point WW was all about no carbs, so their version of spaghetti was boiled mung bean sprouts with cooked down tomato juice/V8 as the sauce.  As an adult, I am perfectly fine with V8 as an ingredient for Quick Tomato Consommé and this Gazpacho.  But drink it????  Horrors.  

That is why I said I was ED (eating disorder) scarred re celery

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, heidih said:

That is why I said I was ED (eating disorder) scarred re celery

I hated V8 long before WW.  My mom loved Bloody Marys, so we usually had it in the refrigerator when I was a little girl.  I tried it periodically and was always completely grossed out!  

I've always found V8 unappetizing. Standard canned tomato juice I've also grown to dislike. They both have an over processed taste that isn't really tomato like. For Bloody Mary's I'm a big fan of Knudson's organic tomato juice. It's less thick and less salty and actually has a pleasant tomato flavor. It even makes a Virgin Mary that's okay. I did try making my own juice once, using really good farmers' market tomatoes, and that was tasty, but way more trouble than I care to repeat.

I have used both V8 and tomato juice to thin/rehydrate the sauce in tomato-sauced pasta dishes that have been in the steam table for a while, but that's a niche use-case that's of little pertinence to most home cooks. :P

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

@chromedome Actually I think it makes sense as a broth/thinner in general. Water is great but the extra flavor jab in that cute little can... see now I have to add a six pack to the pantry

• Like 2