• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stains on Stainless Steel - how to clean them?

Okanagancook

IMG-0282.thumb.jpg.39c89d7793644fb767785f640a4f595b.jpg 

These white stains started appearing on my 15 year old Wolf cook top.  I have tried Bar Keepers Friend, Comet, Dish Detergent, and toothpaste (from Google).  None of these have worked.

Any suggestions, please would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

I remembered I had some stainless steel cleaner ...Lloyds Gleem It.   And guess what, it worked with a lot of elbow grease so Mitch thanks for twigging my memory, duh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

IMG-0282.thumb.jpg.39c89d7793644fb767785f640a4f595b.jpg 

These white stains started appearing on my 15 year old Wolf cook top.  I have tried Bar Keepers Friend, Comet, Dish Detergent, and toothpaste (from Google).  None of these have worked.

Any suggestions, please would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I can't help with your stove but my toothpaste I buy from amazon.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Hi, I bought this 14cm stainless steel pan the other day, put a few small potatoes in it to boil.  When it came to washing-up, we saw these stains on it.  What are they and is the pan safe to use?

20210505_154007.jpg

20210505_164503.jpg

20210505_155500.jpg

Edited by Susanwusan (log)

4 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

The potatoes and water went in first.  Anyway, it is stainless steel - should that happen?  I've had stainless steel pans before for a long time without that

Sure - lots can happen to stainless steel. And I guess it depends on the stainless steel.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

There's really nothing to scrub off - it's perfectly smooth.  I rang the company, Chef Set, and they're only open two days a week!  I expect it is a very low quality product.  I would like to know though if anything is likely to leach into water or food if I use it again so I'll give them another ring on Monday.

• Like 1