• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Warming a mold with small amount of colored cocoa butter

cc.canuck

I couldn't think of a better way to word that! 

I'm experimenting with adding a very small amount of cocoa butter decoration onto bars I'm making and am not sure whether I should heat the moulds up with a hair dryer as I would for completely bare moulds or just abandoning this step. I would avoid blowing directly onto where the cocoa butter is as much as possible. Thoughts?

PXL_20210505_112928343.jpg

39 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I am not a fan of heating molds anyway - but opinions differ on this.  I vote 'don't heat'.

I agree.  Unless your work space is unusually cold, I see no reason to do it, and there is the danger of getting them too warm.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've made some experiments with heating the moulds and I don't really notice any difference. Maybe it could be an issue if you're working space is really cold? Like 18° or so? Not sure. But I don't get more glossy chocolates by heating the mould before moulding.