• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion circulator. Help me choose.

kikochople

I’m a home cook interested in sous vide cooking.

I started experimenting with it a year ago: I bought a refurbished professional vacuum chamber sealer and relied on my convection oven for the cooking part of the process.

I soon realised dry air isn’t the best solution to deliver even and consistent heat.

Now I want to take a step further: an immersion circulator.

I prefer immersion circulators over water baths - the latter have fixed size tanks which prevent me from experimenting with different volumes.

My ideal unit has stainles steel case and has programmable features such as the delayed start for unattended/overnight cooking.

I'd like to know more about circulating systems: some have pumps, others rotors/stirrers. Some move the water horizontally, others vertically.

Which combination provide the best temperature stability within the tank and reduce stratification and dead spaces between food items?

Maximum tank capacity: how many liters would you suggest at most for household use (multiple bags at once)?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)

I think you are over thinking this. Check out the Anova line of circulators which have a wide selection any of which have provided excellent results. Unless you are a real nitpicker any of them will do the job as you have outlined.

p

• Like 2

Agree with Palo,  Anova is the easy way to go.  I doubt there would be much difference in results using other makers, though you may find some bring the water to temp quicker than others.  

1 hour ago, palo said:

I think you are over thinking this

I agree here. You already have good experience with sous vide and have worked out that it's simply about warm circulating water. I have the Anova Precision and it does all I need. I don't use any of the fancy features. I set it to a temperature and a time.

It's not particularly expensive. It's reliable and nicely designed. I use a stock pot. Sometimes I vacuum seal, more often I use a zip lock bag.

It seems odd now that at its inception sous vide was about expensive sciency tech. All way overcomplicated.

Time x constant temparature. Easy.

Get an Anova, the expensive one if it makes you feel better.

Best wishes

18 hours ago, kikochople said:

My ideal unit has stainles steel case and has programmable features such as the delayed start for unattended/overnight cooking.

I think you need to seriously re-consider this delayed start for safety reasons. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anova is simple and sturdy. Not too pricey either.

Unless you have a refrigerated bath I'd be worried about bugs growing with a delayed start

• Like 1

Have a few Anovas.  The first one as well as a couple second generation models.  I had plans to give one to one of my kids but no interest.   Never know they may change their mind as they get more into cooking 

• Like 2

Anova .

make sure the gap for the clamping mechanism fit your cooking vessel 

I use ' beer coolers '

varius sizes.   the newer smaller Anova has a narrow gap w the clamp.

it would not fit the various beer coolers.

thy are lightweight , when empty

and say to store.