• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eleven Madison Park goes vegan

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

But for a restaurant of this caliber to pivot to full-time vegan for sustainability reasons is laughable.

I will keep an open mind. There is no telling what can be done to produce interesting tasting food without meat.

For instance, "---Smokey bacon flavor pringles are suitable for vegetarian, and don't contain any pork.-----"

dcarch

Sure, but Pringles are super-processed and packaged, a whole pig from a local farm feels* more sustainable than a can of junk food.

*I know my gut reaction may have nothing to do with reality

Maybe Humm is bored and wants a challenge.  Has anyone seen Lars Von Trier's "The Obstructions"?  Limitations bring out creativity and new ways of looking at things.

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

$300 3-star 10-course dinners. 

This makes no sense.

I think it's a fun idea for a pop-up or for a long-ish change

That has been the EMP's business practice if not plan for a very long time.   Run an incarnation for a couple of years, then reinvent.  Has worked before, so...

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Yea, I can't see it succeeding at the luxe price point.  Does haute vegan lend itself to expensive wine/pairings?  Humm and team are smart though.  They'll adapt or scale back if it doesn't work.

That wasn't chicken

there is a 3 star restaurant in France

that went Vegetarian some time ago

sorry , I don't know if Vegan vx vegetarian etc.

Much French Heming and Hawing 

it got its 3 starts back

sorry I can't remember the name.   the was a video series 

on the restaurant .  sorry I cant remember the name , but i know

I have a the videos somewhere ............

it was pretty interesting.

There is a vegan restaurant in France with one Michelin star. 

Here  

so the door is open for EMP to up the ante. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

34 minutes ago, rotuts said:

there is a 3 star restaurant in France.  that went Vegetarian some time ago. sorry , I don't know if Vegan vx vegetarian etc. Much French Heming and Hawing.  it got its 3 starts back.  Sorry I can't remember the name.   the was a video series. on the restaurant .  sorry I cant remember the name , but i know. I have a the videos somewhere ............it was pretty interesting.

It was the first Chef's Table w Alain Passard at L'Arpege as Margaret noted.  I got so hooked on the show after watching it. 

• Thanks 1

That wasn't chicken

I don't really see what the big deal is, other than the usual breathless coverage.

How much does Per Se charge? Masa? And as @Eatmywords mentions, once you start adding wine in to many meals at "fancy" places in NYC, your bill is getting there anyway.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

25 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I don't really see what the big deal is, other than the usual breathless coverage.

How much does Per Se charge? Masa? And as @Eatmywords mentions, once you start adding wine in to many meals at "fancy" places in NYC, your bill is getting there anyway.

Well, actually I was thinking they wouldn't get the same wine consumption, at least from regulars, given a simpler diet mindset.   But what do I know, I'm completely out of touch w the affluent vegan life style.

That wasn't chicken

6 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

But what do I know, I'm completely out of touch w the affluent vegan life style.

I wasn't so much thinking the affluent vegan life style; I was more thinking the people who eat at EMP most likely enjoy drinking high-end wines.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

I wasn't so much thinking the affluent vegan life style; I was more thinking the people who eat at EMP most likely enjoy drinking high-end wines.

I would agree for the special occassioners or once in a lifetimers but I can't see the vegan regulars dropping the same coin as the meat regulars.      

• Thanks 1

That wasn't chicken

35 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

I would agree for the special occassioners or once in a lifetimers but I can't see the vegan regulars dropping the same coin as the meat regulars.      

I doubt that he will have, or even expects, many vegan regulars, i.e., locals.    What he devises as bar food will be interesting and maybe crucial.

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

How much does Per Se charge? Masa?

I did get an email from Masa NY sometime ago, informing me that tipping is not accepted. 

Of course that makes it a lot more affordable. Dinner for two with wine will only be under $2,000.

You can save even more $$$$. Have lunch at Per Se, then dinner at Masa. They are in the same building. No need to pay for subway.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dcarch said:

You can save even more $$$$. Have lunch at Per Se, then dinner at Masa. They are in the same building. No need to pay for subway.

Dont bet on it.  I heard that both Uber and Lyft were bidding for the escalators.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

I was thinking if they're going to EMP vegan or not, it doesn't matter what the tariff is.

My question about Masa/Per Se was sorta rhetorical...I knew the answer!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, Eatmywords said:

Vegan is moderately new, while high-roll dining is not.    It's my sense that those who are used to drinking top wines in restaurants and who convert to vegan will continue to drink the level of wines they enjoyed in the past.

eGullet member #80.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:40 PM, chromedome said:

There's also big-name precedent, with Ducasse and Passard going at least mostly-veg at some of their restaurants. I own Ducasse's Spoon cookbook, though I'll confess I haven't cooked anything from it.

I think its a smart way of competing economically imo, it should help out there food cost and take some of the pressure off of labor %. Honestly I'm surprised more Chef's haven't copied Passard. If you have the creativity and skill to pull it off, it's a smart move. Sure will be curious how this plays out with his dining public! 

I'm not sure it's going to move the needle on food cost as much as some of you think. In my much less-elevated restaurant I paid more for some of my produce than I did for ingredients like sturgeon and wild boar.

They weren't serving supermarket-grade meats, and I'm pretty sure they won't be serving supermarket-grade vegetables either. They'll be dealing with boutique foragers, farmers, etc. The things that aren't innately "high-spec" must be made so, which requires time and skilled labor that would almost certainly negate much of the cost advantage.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Vegan is moderately new, while high-roll dining is not.    It's my sense that those who are used to drinking top wines in restaurants and who convert to vegan will continue to drink the level of wines they enjoyed in the past.

I don't disagree on the quality but rather restraint on indulging, inline with the vegan mindset of less, healthier, conservation, etc.   Multi course pairings would seem unnecessary esp in the company of like minded friends : )  

That wasn't chicken