• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings From the Falls

Hello, all! 

Sort of fell over this place while doing ingredient research. A bunch of foodies talking about food? With references and such? Yes, please!

I grew up in the South (Gulf Coast Texas) and learned the first things I ever knew about food at my Grandma’s elbow. Picked up both her fearless elan for cooking without a roadmap and her exacting sense of chemistry in baking. Probably inherited the densely packed tastebuds from her as well considering our shared detestation for certain flavors. Found my first copy of Larousse Gastronomique at nineteen (a beautiful early 20th Century copy—still have it) on a table at a Southern California flea market while on vacation. Have been in love with the gory details of making things taste divine ever since. 

In my later years, I’ve discovered an allergy to wheat and the fact that an excess of sugar is pretty much kryptonite to people of my relation. Gained and then (after long effort) lost over two hundred pounds, narrowly dodging diabetes, and finishing right about the time the COVID lockdown closed up the world. So I’ve been sitting here rock-throwing distance from a gigantic waterfall for over a year, in the best shape of my life, and researching how to make the foods I grew up eating in a way that won’t murder me before my time. 

So, I’m terribly pleased to find a bunch of people here who aren’t likely to mind me obsessing over some fiddly bit of chemistry or asking oddly specific food questions when I get around to that. It’s been a pleasure to catch up on your posts, and I hope I can make some contribution eventually myself.

Cheers!

• Like 6

“A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns. The rising of the milky way.”

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

LOL Yup, you'll fit right in...

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 4/28/2021 at 11:25 PM, GloriousDawn said:

So, I’m terribly pleased to find a bunch of people here who aren’t likely to mind me obsessing over some fiddly bit of chemistry

It's not that we don't mind, we're eager for you to do so :)

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

~ Shai N.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, liuzhou said:

Excuse my ignorance, but which Falls. There are some impressive falls near me, but I'm guessing not the same as yours. 

This one would be the Niagara Falls, US side. Being in China, I imagine you have some quite lovely ones there as well. 

“A still more glorious dawn awaits. Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise. A morning filled with 400 billion suns. The rising of the milky way.”

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

On 5/3/2021 at 6:29 AM, shain said:

It's not that we don't mind, we're eager for you to do so :)

Oh, goody. Currently tinkering with recreating the behavior of gluten in baked things that are not 80% starch. 

It’s becoming a salty undertaking. Little bit in the batter, most of it in my language. Good thing I have a willing volunteer to gladly fall upon the failures.

Me: “You are a terrible food critic.”

DW: “*munchmunchmunch* I know. *munchmunch* Sorry. (she’s so not sorry) *munch* Is there any more of that?”

😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Carl Sagan, Cosmos

Thank you, btw, to whichever staffer snapped the leash off my collar after 5 posts instead of making me post the full 10 first (not that that took long *cough*). 😆

• Like 1

Carl Sagan, Cosmos