• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A dirty business

JoNorvelleWalker

This is the heading of an article in The Economist reporting restaurant grave robbing.  "By day Mr Wei sold pancakes in Shaanxi, a northern province.  By night he led a gang of grave robbers who tunneled under an ancient temple near his shop."  His success was such he and his business partners opened a chain of restaurants near other shrines and pagodas.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Mr Google returns no story with that headline, but there is this one from a couple of weeks back. Only the Economist seems to be reporting  this. Possible because it happened over a year ago. Mr. Wei was imprisoned last year for 15 years. His second conviction for this type of offence.

Quite why the Economist chooses to run this story now is a mystery.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 6 months later...

I’ve spent probably half my working life in well established restaurants. There’s a dark side to everything  

Right now my friend who was a GM where I worked is writing up a report about a customer who died tonight. That is not easy. I’d rather have my ass grabbed than deal with that. 

• Sad 3