• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hello!

Bryna

I come from a family with strong cooking genes and use my intuition as much as possible.  I entertain close friends (and myself) by identifying unusual ingredients in dishes.  I love to do extensive research before cooking something - which is what led me to join egullet.

I’m originally from the Maritimes and now live in the country not too far from Lancaster, PA; love growing unusual herbs and plants; enjoy coming up with new twists on bread recipes (latest is a stunning Borodinsky bread that needed red rye malt!); have a husband who proudly and quite jokingly self-identifies as a food snob (because he grew up in B’klyn eating chow mein sandwiches at Nathan’s ... UGH!).  I’m learning to cook well on a Solo fire pit and am pretty good with my SV.  I’m a potter (mostly wheel thrown) partly to make dishes for friends & my cooking; collect Community flatware; and wish buttercream had no calories.

Finally, I’m delighted to be in the company of all of you learned cooks & chefs!  I bow low to you.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, Bryna!

3 minutes ago, Bryna said:

Looking forward to exploring and learning!  Right now I’m researching corning and SV a tongue (for the crazy husband).  Any suggestions are gratefully accepted.

Ask and you shall receive. This topic discusses sous vide tongue, and corning beforehand: Sous vide tongue? Feel free to add to it with questions or, better still, documentation of your own efforts.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Ahhhh!  Yes!  So I actually joined eG to pick the brain of FeChef.  As I noted in my intro I research ad nauseam, but it works for me and I learn a lot.  I think there are more tasty bits to discover in this thread.

I will be sure to take pics and notes along the way.  The only way I won’t post is if we croak from our efforts.  

Thank you for responding with helpful information!

@Bryna, I love sous vide beef tongue. My last one was done 147°F for 55 hours. I have notes that @Kim Shook recommended 48 hours at 158°F but I have always done mine rarer.

P.S. For @FeChef. If you use the @ sign and then wait a moment or two, you can type in the User Name of an eGulleter. When that person next signs in to eG they will receive a notice that they've been mentioned in a post.

You and my husband!  I will likely try it on rye with mustard.  Thank you for the SV input.  Did you brine it with Prague Powder?  I’m thinking of what might happen if I brine it and then cook it to rare?  OMG, the color might be amazing... or not.

Thanks so much for the advice on notifying or crediting an eG.  I’ll try that next time.  

Take care!

• Like 1

@Bryna I used Prague Powder (cure#1) I looked at my original post and it doesnt look like i logged the recipe just the time/temp. I am pretty sure i went with a basic recipe for corned beef that i got from google, but i definitely used cure#1. If Alton Brown had a corned beef recipe, i most likely went with his.

Edited by FeChef (log)

@FeChef Thanks!  We went with a generic recipe for the brining, using Prague powder.  Stay tuned.  

I now have to give more thought to the length of SV.  My goal is tenderness without shredding.  I’ll def slice it cold and likely wrap it tightly while it chills.

Ps.  I’m grateful to @TdeV.   I now understand one has to direct each response so the poster is notified they are mentioned.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Hello and welcome.  Where abouts in the Maritime are you from?

@ElsieD (Didn’t want you to think I ignored you... @TdeV kindly instructed me I have to mention you in order to reply directly)

I’m from NB but left as a child.  Still have rellies in PQ and OTT.  I think Coffee Crisp would be truly spectacular if made with good dark chocolate and I do remember when Cherry Bombs were the size of a lemon!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bryna said:

I’m learning to cook well on a Solo fire pit...

I meant to ask about this. What is a Solo fire pit?

(Incidentally, you should get a notification that you've been quoted. A quote is another way to get someone's attention!)

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

What is a Solo fire pit?

@Smithy I meant to say Breeo fire pit.  They are similar and we looked at the Solo but you can’t cook on the Solo.  I got them mixed up.  

This past winter when we couldn’t see our kids, family & friends we decided to purchase a fire pit and we all sat out in the *^$% cold and grilled on it (appropriately distanced from each other).  Here’s a link to view it.  https://breeo.co/products/x-series-24-smokeless-fire-pit

It was fun, warm enough to make things bearable, and grilling on that thing is awesome!  We seared just about anything you can imagine.  

It is a bit difficult to explain without seeing a picture of the fire pit.  Basically, there is a SS flange around the edge and when the fire pit gets sufficiently hot (up to 1100 F) the flange bends in slightly to drain the grease into the pit.  The flange is wide enough to to grill a burger or steak.  It also has an actual grill top that can be adjusted in height.  We made home fries using this feature.  This may have saved our sanity during Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bryna said:

@Smithy I meant to say Breeo fire pit.  They are similar and we looked at the Solo but you can’t cook on the Solo.  I got them mixed up.  

This past winter when we couldn’t see our kids, family & friends we decided to purchase a fire pit and we all sat out in the *^$% cold and grilled on it (appropriately distanced from each other).  Here’s a link to view it.  https://breeo.co/products/x-series-24-smokeless-fire-pit

It was fun, warm enough to make things bearable, and grilling on that thing is awesome!  We seared just about anything you can imagine.  

It is a bit difficult to explain without seeing a picture of the fire pit.  Basically, there is a SS flange around the edge and when the fire pit gets sufficiently hot (up to 1100 F) the flange bends in slightly to drain the grease into the pit.  The flange is wide enough to to grill a burger or steak.  It also has an actual grill top that can be adjusted in height.  We made home fries using this feature.  This may have saved our sanity during Covid.

That's a great explanation, especially with the linked photos. What a great-looking device! I can believe it helped save your sanity during lockdown. :) 

• Like 1