• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epicurious to Stop Publishing Beef Recipes

palo

First let me say I believe in everyone's right to make personal choices and follow them.

I considered this could have been put in the "Food Recalls" topic.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-environment/food-site-epicurious-to-stop-publishing-recipes-with-beef-1.5403405

The next thing you know...

p

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title to remove "political" reference (log)
  • Confused 1

Wonderful news to me!

Hopefully there will be a major reduction in people buying beef. There will be prime ribs at $0.99 a lb. xD

Also, people should not drink cow milk, or buy cheese, or use butter.......

dcarch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

From an article in the NYT:

"What about the environmental argument? Almost 30 percent of the world’s ice-free land is used to raise livestock. We grow a lot of crops to feed animals, and we cut down a lot of forests to do that. But beef, far more than pork or chicken, contributes to environmental harm, in part because it requires much more land. The greenhouse gas production per serving of chicken or pork is about 20 percent that of a serving of beef.

Cows also put out an enormous amount of methane, causing almost 10 percent of anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions and contributing to climate change."

Really, there's plenty of evidence about the impact of beef production on the environment, it isn't news. Although the move by Epicurious is kind of amazing. 

• Like 3

Good for them, I appreciate their statement of caring about the planet we share.

OTOH, I don't think it will actually change anything.  They still have 1700 recipes featuring beef, what new earth-shattering rendition are we going to miss?  Is anything even  new anyway?  Look for new lamb, goat, and buffalo recipes and sub beef if you need more than 1700 ideas.

• Like 1

So few of us can afford beef anymore we will hardly notice. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

From what I’ve read, it’s not “that” but their belching in relation to chewing their cud.

Yes. Whatever cows do, they produce way more methane than pigs, and that's the problem. The second worst meat as far as climate goes is lamb. We don't eat that much lamb here in the US, but other countries do. 

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

So few of us can afford beef anymore we will hardly notice. 

Apparently we didn’t notice since this happened a year ago!

“Tamarkin and Hoffman say they are confident readers of Epicurious will not abandon the site after the change, because it has already happened.

“We know that home cooks want to do better. We know because we actually pulled the plug on beef well over a year ago, and our readers have rallied around the recipes we published in beef’s place … 

see

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

"our readers have rallied around the recipes we published in beef’s place …  "

How could readers rally around something that they weren't aware of?

And how brave of epicurious to test it for a year before announcing it.

Takes me from amusement to active dislike.

Not that it matters a bit, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i think it's a fine idea, but imo this is words, not deeds. if they really believed in what they were saying, they'd also remove the beef recipes from their site. this way they get to benefit from the huge number of beef recipes that people will search for, and also claim green credit for taking this step. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

On 4/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Yes. Whatever cows do, they produce way more methane than pigs, and that's the problem. The second worst meat as far as climate goes is lamb. We don't eat that much lamb here in the US, but other countries do. 

it's because they're ruminants. remember the multichamber digestion process that cows and other ruminants use? in the rumen, the vegetable matter ferments and one of the major metabolites is methane. this is how they digest the plant matter, as the amount of energy they get from direct plant digestion is pretty poor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jimb0 said:

i think it's a fine idea, but imo this is words, not deeds. if they really believed in what they were saying, they'd also remove the beef recipes from their site.

Hmmmm. And all the recipes containing milk, butter, cow’s milk cheese?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Yea, not much of a statement if banning only 'new' recipes.  Are there many beef recipes to come?  Do folks even use beef recipes?  A stir-fry here and there but those work w just about any protein.  I typically want to do as little to beef as possible. 

That wasn't chicken