• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A room, and a tailgate, for one.

Spork

On 4/27/2021 at 10:35 PM, Smithy said:

That's a lot of driving. Travel photos will be welcome, if you have time, energy and inclination. :) If not, show us what you will! I've already learned about Earnest Mickler, and his name hadn't registered on me before although his cookbook(s) had.

i-T3p97Hf-L.jpg

Days of this. Lol

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I have a backpack setup somewhat like yours for road trips.  When those happen (hopefully again not in the too distant future) I travel with my A4box appliance, which is easy and useful, but way more expensive than your hotplate/toaster et al.  I usually bring sous vide'd meats and vacuum packed sides from home (or convenience food sides from supermarkets) for the times eating out on the road is not desired.    I don't find it too terribly hard to cook on the road, if I planned it well.   The oven intrigues me, not gonna lie.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I have a backpack setup somewhat like yours for road trips.  When those happen (hopefully again not in the too distant future) I travel with my A4box appliance, which is easy and useful, but way more expensive than your hotplate/toaster et al.  I usually bring sous vide'd meats and vacuum packed sides from home (or convenience food sides from supermarkets) for the times eating out on the road is not desired.    I don't find it too terribly hard to cook on the road, if I planned it well.   The oven intrigues me, not gonna lie.

I must be prepared for off grid. I go with protein sous vide, two weeks is too long to travel raw.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Spork said:

i-T3p97Hf-L.jpg

Days of this. Lol

West Texas is like that. :) 

I'm impressed with the diverse selection of seasonings you've come up with. I used to be very disciplined about herbs and spices when I was kayak camping or sailing and space was confined. Now I'm less selective and more inclined to throw things in willy-nilly. Then I have trouble finding what I want because I've crowded the cabinets! 

It's all looking good. Keep up the inspiration, please!

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

24 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Who has had homemade cornbread on the road? Raise your hand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Spork said:

Get your root on.

i-VH4fvC9-L.jpg

I'm awake now, I think, and still can't work out what that "root" is. Scallion root? Is it just the root, or is the rest of the scallion lurking in that sandwich under what I think is a burger?

I like the looks of that bread. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown