• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A room, and a tailgate, for one.

Spork

16 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Spork, I love road trips. Is your goal to be cooking or assembling your own meals on the road? If it's not too much trouble, can you post photos of what kind of equipment (stove, etc.) you're working with? TIA.

Let's see if I can help here. The photo I was asking about was of his stove / oven.

i-TL9m4Sv-L.jpg

This photo, and its companions, were in links in this post.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

23 hours ago, Smithy said:

I like the camp stove/ oven combo you show in one of your smugmug photos. I've looked at them in stores but never been able to justify buying one given our venerable Coleman 3-burner stove and a trailer oven. Have you used the oven portion yet? Is the unit propane powered? Does it ride in the back of the pickup?

I finished a little early today so, some catch up. 

Yes, it is propane powered. I have a bulk propane system that I use when setting up semi-permanent ( camping, fishing, hunting, etc ). I’m running on 1lb bottles now. Easy to stow and lock up. Yes it rides in the bed of the truck. 

In your travels, I can possibly see two justifications. 

1.  No heat generated inside the camper. 

2. You can cook on a campfire, a camp stove, a camp oven, and with a little thought have a kitchen golden triangle. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Spork, I love road trips. Is your goal to be cooking or assembling your own meals on the road? If it's not too much trouble, can you post photos of what kind of equipment (stove, etc.) you're working with? TIA.

I haven’t set down in a restaurant since January 25th of 2020. That’s the date when the lovely Martha adopted me, O so many years ago. Lol

I spend a lot of time on the road for work. I’ve made a challenge to myself on this trip to only stop, other than the motel/hotel room, for fuel for the truck and ice for the cooler. 

Again, I’ll show you the kitchen, pantry, spice rack, etc beginning Saturday. I hope to have a much more relaxed pace then. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Spork said:

I’ve made a challenge to myself on this trip to only stop, other than the motel/hotel room, for fuel for the truck and ice for the cooler. 

OK, that answers another question I had. I was wondering whether you were staying at motels / hotels, but didn't want to ask. Maybe some of those places give you some breakfast-type foods in the morning (hard-boiled eggs, bananas, etc.).

2 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

OK, that answers another question I had. I was wondering whether you were staying at motels / hotels, but didn't want to ask. Maybe some of those places give you some breakfast-type foods in the morning (hard-boiled eggs, bananas, etc.).

Overwhelmingly, breakfast is shut down. Some offer a gift bag at check in, a cranola bar, chips, water, etc. Some offer a bag at breakfast, a cranola bar, chips, water, and likely a piece of fruit. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Spork said:

The naked truth.

i-JTrK5pB-L.jpg

We salt a pasta pot.

i-8CLBs99-L.jpg

We brown some beef.

i-ggxnhjv-L.jpg

Add some sauce.

i-CQN77JX-L.jpg

And a salad.

i-wxwM3K7-L.jpg

You convinced me for pasta for dinner.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Spork said:

Pintos on the slow. Its amazing what a cheap eye will do.

A cheap eye? I can guess maybe, but I'd like your elaboration on this comment so I don't go amiss. :) 

The food looks delightful. Quite a bit better than what I'm cranking out after months on the road. I'm surprised you don't have co-workers banging at the tailgate to join in. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

16 hours ago, Smithy said:

A cheap eye? I can guess maybe, but I'd like your elaboration on this comment so I don't go amiss. :) 

The food looks delightful. Quite a bit better than what I'm cranking out after months on the road. I'm surprised you don't have co-workers banging at the tailgate to join in. 

Less than $20 hot plate from wallyworld two years ago slow simmers beans with amazing ease and reliability. 

No co-workers, which is more common than not. 

• Like 1

@MokaPot

The core.

The Kelty bag.

i-GnBRVvG-L.jpg

I hope the contents speak for themselves.

i-nmzNQzR-L.jpg

A fly over

i-nwv7T5w-L.jpg

Lets see,

Top left is a sterno get up, canteen cups, and measure and retrieve. Then a knife sharpener and plates. lol

Forks, spoons, and knifes with wipe ups to follow.

A general kit, the front line.

• Like 8