• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Happy to join this group, and looking to donate old cookbooks and food pamphlets

Hello, I'm Janet from Chicago and just joined today!  I'm a registered dietitian and culinary professional, and my mom was a home economics teacher.  I have a huge collection of really old cookbooks and food pamphlets or marketing brochures.  My mom collected these and I would love to have them find a new home.  They're just too special to toss, but I no longer have room for them.  Can I interest anyone in this treasure box?  They're free to anyone who wants them, although may ask for reimbursement of postage.  Please let me know and we can coordinate.  Many thanks. 

• Like 2

Welcome, Janet. I hope you stick around, even after you find new homes for the cookbooks and cooking pamphlets! Please don't hesitate to ask for help from a host - I am one - if you have questions about how to use the forums or where to post.

Since you have such a wonderful collection, you may be interested to peruse and participate in the topic Vintage Cooking Booklets and Pamphlets. @David Ross, another host, also has quite a collection and has been keeping a discussion going. Anyone can participate!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Welcome, Janet!  Your collection sounds exciting!  Lots of us collect the older stuff.  Definitely participate in the topic about the booklets and pamphlets that @Smithy mentioned.  Not sure about where you would post the cookbooks.  

The topic Free Cookbooks is a good giveaway site, but it's traditionally been a place that titles were actually listed. If @Janet Helm is interested in going to that level of detail, it's another possibility.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Welcome, Janet, from the other side of the big lake. I don't know if they're accepting donations at the moment, but you might want to contact the Janice Bluestein Longone Culinary Archive at U of M.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

There used to be an active Chicagoland contingent on eGullet. Most have moved on, but I suspect a few still lurk from time to time. In addition to the 33 pages of a planning thread, here's the seven-page thread describing our 2008 eG Heartland Gathering in Chicago and Evanston.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

If there is anything you have that the local library doesn’t have, I suggest you donate to them. 

Otherwise, any on wild game and/or forage, I would be interested. 

Edited by Spork (log)