• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

15 hours ago, palo said:

I've never heard of that before and my understanding is that liquids, i.e. the moisture in the bread would heat up and boil under reduced pressure

p

Dave Arnold has been obsessing over it in his podcast the past year; from what I recall it has also been described in Modernist Cuisine/Bread but I've never read it. He is actually using it partially to get the bread more crispy as the idea is getting rid of all that moisture prevents subtle crust sogginess. I'd never seen it described elsewhere so I was shocked to see Anova mention it but they've really captured all the subtle pro secrets (like hydrating doughs) in their recipe guide.

I am more interested in the crisping factor than the cooling factor as I have already had many bad experiences with putting hot things in the chamber vac.... 😛 (and I have a blast chiller)

I wrote out to Anova earlier in the week on their social media but they have yet to respond. I agree with the suspicion that they are expecting people to not use the function enough to matter

andrewk512

andrewk512

14 hours ago, palo said:

I've never heard of that before and my understanding is that liquids, i.e. the moisture in the bread would heat up and boil under reduced pressure

p

Dave Arnold has been obsessing over it in his podcast the past year; from what I recall it has also been described in Modernist Cuisine/Bread but I've never read it. He is actually using it partially to get the bread more crispy as the idea is getting rid of all that moisture prevents subtle crust sogginess. I'd never seen it described elsewhere so I was shocked to see Anova mention it but they've really captured all the subtle pro secrets (like hydrating doughs) in their recipe guide.

I am more interested in the crisping factor than the cooling factor as I have already had many bad experiences with putting hot things in the chamber vac.... 😛 (and I have a blast chiller)

I wrote out to Anova earlier in the week on their social media but they have yet to respond