• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Why the hard line on an oil pump?  The Anova touts a "maintenance free dry pump", and a 2 year warranty. Do dry pumps die at 2 years and oil pumps need a top up?  A look at eBay tells me China has got chamber vacs in  the production queue.  Some coming in in at less than $350.  The Anova looks more controlled, with the ability to follow steps rather than just pump and stop.  Is there really an added benefit to that? And is the microcontroller going to be a point of failure?  I kinda doubt it.

In other units dry pumps have been failure prone, but in over 2 yrs is my impression. Perhaps anova has a better one. Or perhaps they figure they can just give you  new unit if it fails in <2 yrs.

But 350 is a lot if it is failure prone. I can see treating an $80 sav-a-meal as disposable after a few years, but not if its $350.

But perhaps because anova doesn't do Walmart and target they can put in good parts without chiseling on quality.

gfweb

gfweb

1 hour ago, cdh said:

Why the hard line on an oil pump?  The Anova touts a "maintenance free dry pump", and a 2 year warranty. Do dry pumps die at 2 years and oil pumps need a top up?  A look at eBay tells me China has got chamber vacs in  the production queue.  Some coming in in at less than $350.  The Anova looks more controlled, with the ability to follow steps rather than just pump and stop.  Is there really an added benefit to that? And is the microcontroller going to be a point of failure?  I kinda doubt it.

In other units dry pumps have been failure prone, but in over 2 yrs is my impression. Perhaps anova has a better one. Or perhaps they figure they can just give you  new unit if it fails in <2 yrs.

But 350 is a lot if it is failure prone. I can see treating an $80 sav-a-meal as disposable after a few years, but not if its $350.

But perhaps because anova doesn't do Walmart and target they can put in good parts without chiseling on quality.