• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Two new cookbooks for me.  First is Chad Robertson's Bread Book. This one was published on Dec 21, 2021.  Kind of an odd pub date for a cookbook.  I'm guessing it was delayed by issues we've all been reading about.  Last week, I listened to a Zoom author session via LA bookshop Nowserving with Chad, his co-author and Tartine bread director, Jennifer Latham, Anson Mills founder Glenn Roberts, and Carinsprings Mill founder Kevin Morse hosted by Evan Kleiman.  In spite of my failures to maintain starters, I was sucked in by all the veneration of heritage grains and ordered the book.  I have the Kindle version of his first bread book,Tartine Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) but not the second, Tartine Book No. 3 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  There's a chapter for each of 14 master recipes:  his classic country bread, baguettes, slab breads, a white sandwich "kids' bread," flatbreads, buns, dinner rolls, rye bread, vegan bread, gluten-free bread, crisp breads, tortillas, pizza dough and fermented pasta. Compared with his first book, this one goes more deeply into particular types of wheat and other whole grain flours but does not have as many step-by-step photos of the process.   Each chapter also includes several recipes for dishes to make with the bread.  I have a selection of Cairnspring Mill flours in my shopping cart and we'll see if I pull the trigger and manage to actually bake anything!  

Nowserving generally archives these sessions on their "Event Recordings" page and I'll come back and update this if I see it. Here's a direct link to this Zoom event. If that link doesn't work, go back to that Event Recordings page and you'll find it listed on 1/26/2022.

My other "new" book was published in 2019, Double Awesome Chinese Food: Irresistible and Totally Achievable Recipes from Our Chinese-American Kitchen by Margaret Li, Irene Li and Andrew Li, siblings who started Boston food truck and Asian fusion restaurant Mei Mei Street Kitchen.  Kenji gave this one a shout out recently and it promptly disappeared from Amazon but their listing (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) still has a good bit of info on the book.  I thought some of the ideas and flavor combinations sounded like fun. I suspect I'll use this more for ideas than actually following recipes exactly but who knows?  I already made a version of their Double Awesome breakfast sandwich (fried eggs, cheddar cheese, greens and pesto in a scallion pancake) and their kimchi dog (also served in a scallion pancake will be happening here! 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Two new cookbooks for me.  First is Chad Robertson's Bread Book. This one was published on Dec 21, 2021.  Kind of an odd pub date for a cookbook.  I'm guessing it was delayed by issues we've all been reading about.  Last week, I listened to a Zoom author session via LA bookshop Nowserving with Chad, his co-author and Tartine bread director, Jennifer Latham, Anson Mills founder Glenn Roberts, and Carinsprings Mill founder Kevin Morse hosted by Evan Kleiman.  In spite of my failures to maintain starters, I was sucked in by all the veneration of heritage grains and ordered the book.  I have the Kindle version of his first bread book,Tartine Bread (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) but not the second, Tartine Book No. 3 (eG-friendly Amazon.com link).  There's a chapter for each of 14 master recipes:  his classic country bread, baguettes, slab breads, a white sandwich "kids' bread," flatbreads, buns, dinner rolls, rye bread, vegan bread, gluten-free bread, crisp breads, tortillas, pizza dough and fermented pasta. Compared with his first book, this one goes more deeply into particular types of wheat and other whole grain flours but does not have as many step-by-step photos of the process.   Each chapter also includes several recipes for dishes to make with the bread.  I have a selection of Cairnspring Mill flours in my shopping cart and we'll see if I pull the trigger and manage to actually bake anything!  

Nowserving generally archives these sessions on their "Event Recordings" page and I'll come back and update this if I see it. 

My other "new" book was published in 2019, Double Awesome Chinese Food: Irresistible and Totally Achievable Recipes from Our Chinese-American Kitchen by Margaret Li, Irene Li and Andrew Li, siblings who started Boston food truck and Asian fusion restaurant Mei Mei Street Kitchen.  Kenji gave this one a shout out recently and it promptly disappeared from Amazon but their listing (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) still has a good bit of info on the book.  I thought some of the ideas and flavor combinations sounded like fun. I suspect I'll use this more for ideas than actually following recipes exactly but who knows?  I already made a version of their Double Awesome breakfast sandwich (fried eggs, cheddar cheese, greens and pesto in a scallion pancake) and their kimchi dog (also served in a scallion pancake will be happening here!