• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Xi'an is my favourite city in China for food. Not my favourite Chinese cuisine*, but favourite city. I lived there for a while in the 1990s and have returned many times since.

It is almost bang in the centre of China, was the Tang dynasty's capital and was the starting point of the Silk Road. As a result, it has absorbed and developed its cuisine from all over China and beyond. Also, it has a large Muslim population which has hugely influenced the cuisine.

Luckily, I have an excellent Xi'an restaurant near my home owned and staffed by Xi'an natives so I don’t go without.

I'll try to post as much about its many dishes as I can.

IMG_5028.thumb.JPG.985863a944f357d0f903ab12d8d15e60.JPG

20190405_151749.thumb.jpg.eea8071dbf556239eae742966cd984eb.jpg

20190405_151757.thumb.jpg.1a46a744b6d2a79d60324413019dbf35.jpg

* That is Hunan cuisine – especially in the west of the province.

roujiamo2.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Xi'an is my favourite city in China for food. Not my favourite Chinese cuisine*, but favourite city. I lived there for a while in the 1990s and have returned many times since.

It is almost bang in the centre of China, was the Tang dynasty's capital and was the starting point of the Silk Road. As a result, it has absorbed and developed its cuisine from all over China and beyond. Also, it has a large Muslim population which has hugely influenced the cuisine.

Luckily, I have an excellent Xi'an restaurant near my home owned and staffed by Xi'an natives so I don’t go without.

IMG_5028.thumb.JPG.985863a944f357d0f903ab12d8d15e60.JPG

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou

liuzhou