• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coping In the Kitchen (and Cooking) After This (or That)

weinoo

24 minutes ago, gfweb said:

When studied probiotics have been shown to do little for antibiotic gi issues.  taking the drug with food, even if the label says not to , is the best move. At most food gives a 10% reduction in absorption.

Yeah - totally what I'm doing with the food thing...Szechuan works! 

I also have the problem spacing them out evenly - 4 doses means once every 6 hours...a bit of a pain in the ass to get the 4th dose in with food.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The finger looks good; each time I've changed the dressing (per doc's order) it looks better. I go today at 1 for the first follow-up.  I'm bummed because the antibiotics are bugging my stomach more than usual, so I'll be whining to him about that. Yes, I eat yogurt and those other fermented products, but I'm wondering if I should invest in some probiotics (I've always felt those, along with vitamins, are your basic 21st century snake oil stuff). 

At one time maybe 15 years ago, there were 3 or 4 Malaysian restaurants down here, all within a 5-minute walk of one another. They were all inexpensive and decent. I don't know why they didn't survive; it was nice to have those options.

We'll have to do some more exploring once we're all protected.

Unless you're getting specialty stuff, most yogurt in the US doesn't have much in terms of live cultures still in them.  And most probiotics are ridiculously expensive.  Years ago, my mother found a chewable probiotic tablet that wasn't that expensive - in Shoprite of all places.  I would take it when taking antibiotics (but you have to take it about 2 hours after each dose of antibiotic otherwise it'll get killed off also) and didn't really have any intestinal distress that I usually get with antibiotics... whether it's because of the probiotic or coincidence, I'll never know.

Right now, there is a dearth of decent places in NYC that do Malaysian or Indonesian food.  Thai has become everywhere, for better or worse - there's a lot of crap - but most of SE Asia is really underrepresented.  I get that Indonesian is not represented well - lots of that cuisine revolves around various sambals, and those are made from various fresh chilies - none of which are available here.  Substituting jalapenos or serranos or anything else easily available here just doesn't work because the various chilies have different flavors as well as the heat.

And Malaysian is usually a tough sell here.  My thought is that it is because there is a lot of shrimp paste used which can be really funky. Personally, I love it but I can see why a lot of NYers (many of whom go to these restaurants to say they've been there) could be put off by it in its non-watered down form.  And when watered down, it doesn't work at all.  I can't wait till I get cooking again - hopefully I won't bug my neighbors too much by stinking up the hallway...  I'll probably have to hook up the carbon filter (from my tent) in the kitchen to minimize the stench...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, weinoo said:

Are you joking?  That might be a disaster in the making, and is probably one of the more dangerous kitchen tasks for someone whose expertise lies in dealing with animate objects!

Okay, so now I have to know: what does SE do? What do you mean by animate objects? Is she a veterinarian? A therapist? A cat wrangler? Only after I left NY for less insular territory did I learn that cutting bagels in half horizontally is considered a dangerous operation

I hope my confidence doesn't get shaken now that I've learned there's such a thing as a left-handed bread knife, because I'm pretty sure I don't have one.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

When studied probiotics have been shown to do little for antibiotic gi issues.  taking the drug with food, even if the label says not to , is the best move. At most food gives a 10% reduction in absorption.

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yeah - totally what I'm doing with the food thing...Szechuan works! 

I also have the problem spacing them out evenly - 4 doses means once every 6 hours...a bit of a pain in the ass to get the 4th dose in with food.

Try taking it with a glass of milk or bowl of ice cream. Peanut butter is also good.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Okay, so now I have to know: what does SE do?

Let's say her job involves protecting the American consumer. 

By animate objects, I mean anything living - or anything not sharp.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Back to the doc yesterday for the 2-day post torture check up. Yes, I had another bagel.

So the bandage came off, wound looks okay (though he did mutter something about maybe needing another lancing, probably just to get on my nerves), infection getting better (though he did mutter that I need to keep my hand elevated as much as possible and also asked me if I wanted to trade places since I question everything he says).

I'll go back Monday for another check (though it looks really good this morning). Cleared to do stuff if I'm careful (I'm always careful). Made a nice dinner last night.

• Like 7

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

(I'm always careful).

Well, mostly careful. 
“I think it came from a splinter I gave myself months ago,”😂

Unless giving yourself splinters is a hobby that we haven’t yet heard about. 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I remember there were always these finger condoms in our medicine drawer- thick but flexible. As a kid I was afraid to ask use. Must have been a butcher thing to protect cuts and allow work to continue. Seems a useful thing for the klutzy among us like me. They did use those steel mesh gloves but not always.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1