• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting foodstuffs made in/from Canada

TdeV

On 4/11/2021 at 7:07 PM, jimb0 said:

for chocolate there are a couple of blog posts i've come across that talk about small time makers. some of it is good, some of it is just ok imo

http://ultimatechocolateblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/canadas-growing-bean-to-bar-craft.html

https://jojococo.ca/blogs/discover-more-about-our-chocolate/canadian-bean-to-bar-partners

Actually Lizabeth Flanagan of Ultimate Chocolate Blog - makes several pretty respectable bean to bar chocolates herself.  Here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, TdeV said:

I found this on BlogTO

https://www.blogto.com/videos/erics-handcrafted-butter-tarts-toronto/

Eric's Handcrafted Butter Tarts

I've written to ask about shipments to Canada and USA, so will update when I know. 🙂

Unfortunately, Eric has "not yet found a solution for shipping my tarts that makes economical sense for customers... sorry :("

. . . so, sadly, I shall remain butter-tart-less . . .

but he does have contactless pickup (clients order via email).

And . . . drumroll . . .

The full flavour list is:
classic
classic brulé
pecans
pecans dark choco
pecans raisins
walnuts
walnuts milk choco
walnuts raisins
all dressed (pecans, walnuts, raisins)
brazilian nuts
brazilian nuts raisins
brazilian coconut
hazelnuts dark choco
coconut
white choco coconut
raisins
cinnamon raisins
cranberries
cranberries white choco
skor bits
toasted marshmallow
apple pie
golden raisins bourbon
smores

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

Unfortunately, Eric has "not yet found a solution for shipping my tarts that makes economical sense for customers... sorry :("

. . . so, sadly, I shall remain butter-tart-less . . .

Might be just as well, at least for your Canadian giftees.  Most of my Canadian friends have either a revered family buttertart recipe or a strong memory of the ideal buttertart that nothing else can ever measure up to. 

As a non-Canadian, I wouldn't mind trying a few of those non-buttertarts 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

True, @blue_dolphin, I'm particularly interested in butter tarts that aren't so sweet. @Anna N tells me that makes them Not Really buttertarts!

My brother got his butter tart gift today. I'll report back.

Ed and I are both bona fide Canadians.  And neither of us likes butter tarts.  So there...  

• Haha 3

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I do!  I do!  I love butter tarts.

Well, to be frank, I love the idea of butter tarts. But it's been 40 years since I had one–who knows if I could handle the sweetness! 😜

• Like 4
  • Haha 1