• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troubleshooting Tempering

seawakim

10 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Thank you for that insight.  It's difficult to make yourself stop in the middle of making shells and test for temper, but it appears to be necessary.  Do you know of any discussion or any scientific papers about overtempering that deal with this problem?  I have also noticed that sometimes shells, when they are cooling in the fridge, acquire a dusty look.  Could this be a sign of overtempering?  They usually come out of the mold without a problem, but it looks suspicious.

Dusty inside is under tempered IMHO and they often contract beautifully and come out of the mold really easily because of all that contraction going from form IV to V. 

No sure about any papers. 

On 4/20/2021 at 4:57 PM, Altay.Oro said:

Ok no lamp saying that the chocolate is now in perfectly tempered state and ready to use 🙂 we need to manually test the temper 👍

Do we need to adjust the temperature occasionally to prevent overtempering?

For example ... if I start the machine in the morning, can I use the tempered chocolate all along the day without any intervention?

the big automatic tempering machines like a Selmi hold the chocolate in the tank at 45C (or whatever you set it at). The chocolate that comes out the spout has been cooled to 32C (or whatever you set it to) and it's perfectly tempered (or should be). But once it's back in the big tank, it's back up to 45C and uncrystallised. So you can *get* tempered chocolate whenever you need it, but it's not held in temper all the time. 

• Like 2

KeyChoc Infinity AX and BX automated tempering machines operate a little different.

The bowl / tank melting temperature setpoint (42C to 45C) is only when the machine is not in temper mode. When you initiate tempering it will lower the working bowl / tank temperature to about 3 degrees above the working setpoint temperature.

It will not try to decrystallize the working bowl / tank while in tempering mode. 

So, after while your chocolate will start to visibly thicken which is basically overseeding.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:29 PM, keychris said:

the big automatic tempering machines like a Selmi hold the chocolate in the tank at 45C (or whatever you set it at). The chocolate that comes out the spout has been cooled to 32C (or whatever you set it to) and it's perfectly tempered (or should be).

So since the Selmi cools before dispensing, in theory it could give me chocolate cooled to below room temp?  If it's 95F in my kitchen, it could dispense chocolate at 88?  I'd have to put it directly in the fridge, but hmmm ...

34 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

So since the Selmi cools before dispensing, in theory it could give me chocolate cooled to below room temp?  If it's 95F in my kitchen, it could dispense chocolate at 88?  I'd have to put it directly in the fridge, but hmmm ...

It has a compressor in it to cool - so yes.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 1:59 AM, Kerry Beal said:

I'd say 20 minutes or so. 

It takes me so much longer than this - I'm wondering if that's a part of my results being so hit and miss. What kind of bowl are you using and are you placing it on top of a bowl filled with ice to cool it down? I'm using glass and just sitting it onto a cloth.

Find me here - it's a free 4 day pass where you can watch all the demos.  I demo tempering dark and milk on a slab, by seeding and of course with the EZtemper. I also do a demo on tempering Ruby by the same 3 methods. You'll be able to see the bowl I use.

I prefer plastic these days - glass really hangs on to the heat. 

I tend not to use cold water or ice under the bowl anymore. 

22 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Find me here - it's a free 4 day pass where you can watch all the demos.  I demo tempering dark and milk on a slab, by seeding and of course with the EZtemper. I also do a demo on tempering Ruby by the same 3 methods. You'll be able to see the bowl I use.

I prefer plastic these days - glass really hangs on to the heat. 

I tend not to use cold water or ice under the bowl anymore. 

Brilliant, thank you for that 😁