• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troubleshooting Tempering

seawakim

At what temperature did your seed all melt?  You need to have a tiny bit of unmelted seed when you get down to your working temperature - which will be around 33-34 for dark.

what is the exact problem?

are you using right "seed" chocolate?

It must be perfectly tempered unmelted chocolate so the right crystals can seed.

are you using enough seed chocolate?

Does it all melt? If so, try to use more.

today i saw a video on youtube about chocolate tempering with seeding method. Maybe you are interested in it:

he uses one big piece of chocolate for seeding and removes it when the chocolate reaches working temp.

31-32°C is the right working temperature for dark chocolate.

Edited by danield (log)

At what temperature did your seed all melt?  You need to have a tiny bit of unmelted seed when you get down to your working temperature - which will be around 33-34 for dark.

I think 38C the seed all melt

what is the exact problem?

are you using right "seed" chocolate?

It must be perfectly tempered unmelted chocolate so the right crystals can seed.

are you using enough seed chocolate?

Does it all melt? If so, try to use more.

today i saw a video on youtube about chocolate tempering with seeding method. Maybe you are interested in it:

he uses one big piece of chocolate for seeding and removes it when the chocolate reaches working temp.

31-32°C is the right working temperature for dark chocolate.

I don't know what is problem, I using right "seed" chocolate 

the seed all melt at 37C-38C, if I add more "seed" than temperature reach 31-32C, the seed not all melt

if I add more "seed" than temperature reach 31-32C, the seed not all melt

This simply means you added a little too much seed the second time around.

A different way to seed is to add that 100g in three batches, ie. about 33g at a time. When the first handful of seed melts, add the second, when that melts, add the final handful.

The most important thing to remember is you're trying to create these stable crystals, and they melt at too high a temperature. So if all of your seed has melted at 38C, you don't have anything to do the seeding at 32C. You can always add a tiny bit of seed when the chocolate reaches the temperatures Kerry mentions, and let that tiny amount melt out with the last degree or two.

What I do when I get down to my working temperature if there is too much seed - is to microwave for 6 to 8 seconds at a time on high, stirring well until it melts out - being careful not to exceed my maximum working temperatures.  

This simply means you added a little too much seed the second time around.

A different way to seed is to add that 100g in three batches, ie. about 33g at a time. When the first handful of seed melts, add the second, when that melts, add the final handful.

The most important thing to remember is you're trying to create these stable crystals, and they melt at too high a temperature. So if all of your seed has melted at 38C, you don't have anything to do the seeding at 32C. You can always add a tiny bit of seed when the chocolate reaches the temperatures Kerry mentions, and let that tiny amount melt out with the last degree or two.

Hi keychris, I follow your method but not success, could you post your whole process because I found out some book that said melt chocolate to 45-50C and than seeding cool down to 27C and reheat to 32C, but another book just seeding cool down to 32C, I really confusion

before always tempering chocolate success in winter, in this summer my room temprature around 25C(in air condition) that factor will affect my result? Thank

What I do when I get down to my working temperature if there is too much seed - is to microwave for 6 to 8 seconds at a time on high, stirring well until it melts out - being careful not to exceed my maximum working temperatures.  

I get tiny seed into chocolate and all melt at 33-34C and than stir cool down at 32C but result also fail, I don't why before success experience I also do that

So - there are a couple of ways to temper dark chocolate - 

1.  Heat up to around 45 C, cool down to 27 - reheat to 32,33.  Dropping to 27C promotes the growth of all but one of the 6 types of crystals.  Heating up again to the working temperature melts all but the form V crystals.  So when you are done you have a bunch of form V crystals that will reproduce in the bowl.

2.  Heat up to around 45C, seed chocolate introduced - cool down with seed in place until you reach the working temperature of 32, 33C.  As long as there is some seed present when you get down to the working temperature - you will have a bunch of form V crystals in the bowl that will reproduce themselves.

So - there are a couple of ways to temper dark chocolate - 

1.  Heat up to around 45 C, cool down to 27 - reheat to 32,33.  Dropping to 27C promotes the growth of all but one of the 6 types of crystals.  Heating up again to the working temperature melts all but the form V crystals.  So when you are done you have a bunch of form V crystals that will reproduce in the bowl.

2.  Heat up to around 45C, seed chocolate introduced - cool down with seed in place until you reach the working temperature of 32, 33C.  As long as there is some seed present when you get down to the working temperature - you will have a bunch of form V crystals in the bowl that will reproduce themselves.

I success, I think the problem is room temperature too hot, Thank you

Glad it worked out - it's hard to get the right temperatures when your room is too hot.  When I've had that problem I've sometimes had to cool the chocolate over a bowl of cold or even ice water to get it down the the lowest temperature.

Glad it worked out - it's hard to get the right temperatures when your room is too hot.  When I've had that problem I've sometimes had to cool the chocolate over a bowl of cold or even ice water to get it down the the lowest temperature.

yes, in winter is easy to get result but in summer room temperature just about 25C even turn on air conditioner, Thank your advice

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, I'm feel frustrate, I try many time again just a few good result, any suggest tempering chocolate work out with room temperature at 25C-28C. Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hiya,

I don't know should i start a new topic if I need to ask something of should I just jump in to already created thread related to the questions

I have in mind?

Forgive us I wasn't supposed to post my question here.

This is my 2nd attempt working with chocolate and 1st time to work with polycarbonate mould.

I've managed to temper chocolate pour in mould, crystalised and fill up with ganache.

During all this process my tempered chocolate in stainless steal bowl has gone rock solid.

My question is can I melt the rock solid chocolate and and retemper with seeding method?

Cheers.IMG_20141104_200342.jpgIMG_20141104_200358.jpg

You'll get different answers but since its going on the bottom, I would carefully re-warm to working temp and go ahead with it. If the chocolate was not in good temper I would start from scratch just for the practice.

Thanks gfron1.

When you said " I would start from scratch " does it mean I can reuse same left over chocolate, melt it and re-temper it with seeding or whatever method.

Can't believe it's 02:00 in the morning just came back from work turned on laptop just to check my answers.

Wanna get on top of it next thing in the morning.

Yes, I do it all the time...

I mean use that chocolate as the chocolate you'll take to 45º, then seed with new back down to 32º. But again, i would just warm it all back to working temp...but I'm lazy that way.

Thanks to Gfron1 and YetiChcolates I took the plunge and gave my rock sold left over chocolate a go to cap my mould.

Amazing result (for me).. and the chocolate came out in one go despite I sprayed my moulds with coloured cocoa butter.

And here is a bit show off one heart shape praline polished wit bronze shimmer powder :biggrin:

all moulds 01.jpg

• Like 4