• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Troubleshooting Tempering

seawakim

So I tried making some chocolate bars, sprinkled cocoa nibs and ground coffee on the surface, however the chocolate must not have been in proper temper and therefore I got fat bloom on the bars. So my question is can I try to re-temper the bars and remodel them or even make chocolate bark out of them, how will the cocoa nibs and ground coffee in the chocolate effect the tempering of the chocolate?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

For all those out there who use melters, I remember Kerry mentioning that she sometimes uses untempered chocolate to reduce the viscosity of the tempered chocolate when you've been using it for awhile due to the buildup of the beta crystals. What temperature would be ideal to have the chocolate at (I'm assuming close to 90 F/30 C) to add to the tempered chocolate to make sure it doesn't go out of temper?

• 3 weeks later...

I recently completed a one week course/49 hrs on making chocolates. Upon returning home and trying to make chocolates on my own I have failed every time. I cannot temper it using the table method. I was able to do this the first time in the course and about 20 times afterwards, but I cannot get it to work in my house.

I am following the same procedure, using the same chocolate, and working on a granite slap I bought, but after 8 attempts, nothing. I am using Cocoa Berry dark. I heat the chocolate to 40-50 C/104-122F in the microwave and let it sit for min of 10 minutes. Then I table it until it is at least 27C/81F, return the seed to the bowl and maintain at 32-3C/ 90F to work with. However, when I do a parchment test, it never sets. It looks good on the surface but does not dry for many minutes.

All I can think of is environment. I live in Canada. It is -23C/-10F outside. Inside, the house is 21-22C/70-72F and humidity 25%. I am feeling very frustrated and disappointed. I invested a lot in learning the basic skills of chocolate making. I did not have any particular problems in the course but I cannot even get started on my own. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I've posted many times on failures in tempering, but this time I have a bizarre success to report. I had a little leftover mint ganache and decided to make a few pieces; my main desire was to try some new decorating techniques. I swirled cocoa butter into the cavities, then tempered (or perhaps not) some milk chocolate. The test for tempering was inconclusive, but by the time I had placed the mold in the refrigerator for a while, I knew that the chocolate was not tempered (after half an hour, the chocolate in the mold was still soft). The leftover chocolate on parchment was a mess, did not harden for a long time. But I persevered and filled the cavities with the mint ganache. For closing, I made sure the chocolate was tempered. I knew the effort would be a failure, but out of curiosity I wanted to see what would happen. After 30 minutes in the refrig, I turned the mold upside down--and out popped perfect chocolates, shiny, nothing left in the mold.

In some ways this is more annoying than a successful effort as it makes absolutely no sense.

I recently completed a one week course/49 hrs on making chocolates. Upon returning home and trying to make chocolates on my own I have failed every time. I cannot temper it using the table method. I was able to do this the first time in the course and about 20 times afterwards, but I cannot get it to work in my house.

I am following the same procedure, using the same chocolate, and working on a granite slap I bought, but after 8 attempts, nothing. I am using Cocoa Berry dark. I heat the chocolate to 40-50 C/104-122F in the microwave and let it sit for min of 10 minutes. Then I table it until it is at least 27C/81F, return the seed to the bowl and maintain at 32-3C/ 90F to work with. However, when I do a parchment test, it never sets. It looks good on the surface but does not dry for many minutes.

All I can think of is environment. I live in Canada. It is -23C/-10F outside. Inside, the house is 21-22C/70-72F and humidity 25%. I am feeling very frustrated and disappointed. I invested a lot in learning the basic skills of chocolate making. I did not have any particular problems in the course but I cannot even get started on my own. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

So a couple of questions for you - (sounding like a broken record here I know) - are you sure of the thermometer temperature. Are you pouring part of the chocolate out on the slab and reserving some in the bowl to reheat the mass? Are you sure that when you return the part you have tabled back in to the bowl that you aren't exceeding the working temperature?

Where in Canada are you located? Got to be a bit north of me if you are -23 outside.

I've posted many times on failures in tempering, but this time I have a bizarre success to report. I had a little leftover mint ganache and decided to make a few pieces; my main desire was to try some new decorating techniques. I swirled cocoa butter into the cavities, then tempered (or perhaps not) some milk chocolate. The test for tempering was inconclusive, but by the time I had placed the mold in the refrigerator for a while, I knew that the chocolate was not tempered (after half an hour, the chocolate in the mold was still soft). The leftover chocolate on parchment was a mess, did not harden for a long time. But I persevered and filled the cavities with the mint ganache. For closing, I made sure the chocolate was tempered. I knew the effort would be a failure, but out of curiosity I wanted to see what would happen. After 30 minutes in the refrig, I turned the mold upside down--and out popped perfect chocolates, shiny, nothing left in the mold.

In some ways this is more annoying than a successful effort as it makes absolutely no sense.

Chocolate as the great equalizer!

As for the accuracy of IR thermometers... Confectionery partner Barbara and I were making toffee last week and using my IR thermometer. Strangely the batch was beginning to burn but didn't register the required temperature on my thermometer. Barbara brought out her thermometer and it registered much hotter than mine...which would explain the slight burning smell. (The toffee was scrumptious anyway.)

Then Barbara noticed that my battery was signaling 'low'. Aha! So that was the reason. New battery in. Thermometer back in the running...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

As for the accuracy of IR thermometers... Confectionery partner Barbara and I were making toffee last week and using my IR thermometer. Strangely the batch was beginning to burn but didn't register the required temperature on my thermometer. Barbara brought out her thermometer and it registered much hotter than mine...which would explain the slight burning smell. (The toffee was scrumptious anyway.)

Then Barbara noticed that my battery was signaling 'low'. Aha! So that was the reason. New battery in. Thermometer back in the running...

Have you found that IR thermometers are reasonably accurate (with fresh batteries)? I have been wondering. Yesterday I tested, and both IR and non-IR gave approximately the same reading. Other times they have been too far apart for comfort. I am new to using IR and am still not confident enough in the accuracy. But they certainly are convenient, especially when testing two different mixtures at the same time and when one of them is tempered chocolate (it's difficult to remember that I mustn't dip a regular thermometer into some liquid and then into tempered chocolate).

Have you found that IR thermometers are reasonably accurate (with fresh batteries)? I have been wondering. Yesterday I tested, and both IR and non-IR gave approximately the same reading. Other times they have been too far apart for comfort. I am new to using IR and am still not confident enough in the accuracy. But they certainly are convenient, especially when testing two different mixtures at the same time and when one of them is tempered chocolate (it's difficult to remember that I mustn't dip a regular thermometer into some liquid and then into tempered chocolate).

First low battery/low inaccurate reading for me, so I can't really comment.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't trust the IR on boiling stuff - just on chocolate - even then I know some of mine read a little off - so I tend to read the chocolate more than anything. It starts to look tempered - one of those things that only experience can give - and I still get fooled when I'm using a new chocolate which doesn't react as I expect it to.

• 2 months later...

Tempering chocolate just takes time and practice, but once you get it down, your golden. What exactly are you having trouble with? Have you tempered chocolate before? What kind of chocolate are you using? Is it safe to assume that since you want that sheen on your bonbons, your molding the chocolates rather then hand dipping them? What references have you consulted for tempering?

I honestly dont mean to just throw all those questions out there. It can be overwhelming if your new to working with the stuff, but the more info you provide the easier it is for everyone to pitch in for a solution.

ive tried tempering lindt dark couverture, going off by books by heating up the chocolate to a certain temp (cant remember to be exact), cooling it down, heating again, cooling it down, i was making bourbon chocolate truffles and dipping the balls in the chocolate and letting it set cold in the fridge, the final shine is ok but i think im still not getting it right since ive seen people doing it and the shine when its set is immaculate, i know a plastic mould would get a shiny surface under some circumstances but that hand rolled truffle is difficult to get perfect.

Do you have pictures of the truffles you made? Was your chocolate in temper...  Was it a uniform color when it dried? Did it have a nice snap to it when you bit into a truffle? You will not get the same level of shine from a dipped piece as you will get with a molded piece.  Also, you should not have to put your dipped truffles into the fridge to have them set up. Just wondering if your chocolate was tempered and not as shiny as you expected or if it was out of temper.  Also, have a look at the link Lisa Shock included, they will provide a lot more information.

As someone who doesn't temper chocolate often, I'm just going to chime in to say that the more you do it, the easier it will get. I started off the same as you – learning from a book, raising-lowering-raising the temperature. But the more you do it, the more you'll get a feel for how the chocolate should behave at certain temperatures and how it will feel when it's in temper. Now I don't even need to bother with a thermometer if I'm just doing a small amount.

Read the info at the links suggested above, and keep practicing!

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

letting it set cold in the fridge, the final shine is ok but i think im still not getting it right since ive seen people doing it and the shine when its set is immaculate

Unless you have a warm room, if you have to set your chocolate in the fridge, it's not tempered correctly. (If you do have a warm room, don't try to temper chocolate  :rolleyes:   ) The problem with the methods on the internet that say 'heat to 45 / cool to 27 / heat to 32' © are that they never mention that to get the correct crystals to form, you need to give the chocolate plenty of movement - ie, stirring! LOTS of stirring! When you think you've got the chocolate right, take a test - dip a spatula into the chocolate, clean off one side and leave it on the bench. Dark chocolate should set in under 5 minutes at room temperature (say, less than 22C). When you look at the set chocolate, it should be smooth and perfect, there shouldn't be any streaks or dots on it. You can get away with a few streaks/dots - this means you just need to stir it a bit more to create more crystals.

You won't get the reflective shine on an enrobed chocolate that you do with a moulded chocolate. The best you can hope for is smooth and perfect, but not shiny!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to tempering chocolate many time was success, but recently have problem in tempering, I used "seeding method" to tempering and below is my process

300g dark chocolate, 100g for "seed"

step1: melt chocolate the temperature reach about 46C-48C (recommend temperature of chocolate brand)

step2: drop "seed"chocolate in melt chocolate to stirring bring down temperature to 31C-32C

step3: test the result

Why I wasn't success of result? what part have problem? Thank