• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

Wow, imagine my surprise when Kerry Beal, Jim D, pastry girl and Jo all reply to my question. I felt like it's the Avengers assembling! I have contacted each of you individually in different posts before for your wisdoms so this is quite the pleasant surprise 😁

Admittedly - I myself have limited workings with chocolate - but yesterday I decided to pick up some old chocolate I forgot about and temper it. I did some chocolate writing (yikes looked like a serial killer wrote it...lol) and added chocolate to those hexagonal diamond looking polycarb molds (I have just 1) to test it out.

First of all - surprising that untempered chocolate can snap in the fridge...in the past this definitely has been something I have been guilty of thinking it "passed."

Ironically - the temper test I did at room temp this time - and it set up matte and looked glossy under the light at an angle - but I'm not sure if it's supposed to "snap" right away? How long does one wait for a "snap" to check if "in temper"?

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol. Some say to preheat molds..others say keep it cool. Mine were just room temp...not sure what the deal is on mold temperature before molding. I was attempting to pop out the chocolates with JUST the top shell - not the entire thing like a solid piece.

It may help if I get a hygrometer or something that can measure my RH levels so I can see how "cool" I can make my chocolate....some people say you can leave molds in the fridge...but I'm not too sure....I'm assuming if that's possible - you may need a dehydrator or something to allow them to come back up to room temperature without condensating with water in some form...

Not sure why it didn't come out the mold....but I didn't polish them off before use other than with a paper towel ...not even sure HOW to properly do that. Just rub it incessantly with cotton? I don't use cocoa butter for color - I was attempting straight chocolate from the mold...

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

Wow, imagine my surprise when Kerry Beal, Jim D, pastry girl and Jo all reply to my question. I felt like it's the Avengers assembling! I have contacted each of you individually in different posts before for your wisdoms so this is quite the pleasant surprise 😁

Admittedly - I myself have limited workings with chocolate - but yesterday I decided to pick up some old chocolate I forgot about and temper it. I did some chocolate writing (yikes looked like a serial killer wrote it...lol) and added chocolate to those hexagonal diamond looking polycarb molds (I have just 1) to test it out.

First of all - surprising that untempered chocolate can snap in the fridge...in the past this definitely has been something I have been guilty of thinking it "passed."

Ironically - the temper test I did at room temp this time - and it set up matte and looked glossy under the light at an angle - but I'm not sure if it's supposed to "snap" right away? How long does one wait for a "snap" to check if "in temper"?

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol. Some say to preheat molds..others say keep it cool. Mine were just room temp...not sure what the deal is on mold temperature before molding. I was attempting to pop out the chocolates with JUST the top shell - not the entire thing like a solid piece.

Not sure why it didn't come out the mold....but I didn't polish them off before use other than with a paper towel ...not even sure HOW to properly do that. Just rub it incessantly with cotton? I don't use cocoa butter for color - I was attempting straight chocolate from the mold...

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol. Some say to preheat molds..others say keep it cool. Mine were just room temp...not sure what the deal is on mold temperature.

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

Wow, imagine my surprise when Kerry Beal, Jim D, pastry girl and Jo all reply to my question. I felt like it's the Avengers of Chocolate assembling! I have contacted each of you individually in different posts before for your wisdoms so this is quite the pleasant surprise 😁

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol. Some say to preheat molds..others say keep it cool. Mine were just room temp...not sure what the deal is on mold temperature.

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

Wow, imagine my surprise when Kerry Beal, Jim D, pastry girl and Jo all reply to my question. I felt like it's the Avengers of Chocolate assembling! I have contacted each of you individually in different posts before for your wisdoms so this is quite the pleasant surprise 😁

Not sure why it didn't come out the mold....but I didn't polish them off ...not even sure HOW to do that. Just rub it incessantly with cotton? I don't use cocoa butter for color - I was attempting straight chocolate from the mold...

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol

Not sure why it didn't come out the mold....but I didn't polish them off ...not even sure HOW to do that. Just rub it incessantly with cotton? I don't use cocoa butter for color - I was attempting straight chocolate from the mold...

TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs

Ironically - the temper test I did at room temp this time - and it set up matte - but I'm not sure if it's supposed to "snap" right away? Seems the chocolate sort of bends.

I ended up adding the chocolate from the molds admittedly into a 55-60F +/-1F cooler for 30 mins as opposed to 78F room temp (I believe after 2 mins of molding which may have been my mistake). Tried to unmold - didn't pop out. 1 hour. Took them out - Banged on the mold hard...nothing. Noticed that there's little water droplets forming on the chocolate. Realized from one of Kerrys posts that I quite frankly don't understand about "Dew point" that I'm sugar-bloom screwed. lol