• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Panade (aka Panada/Panado): the dish

Margaret Pilgrim

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm having taxonomy problems.  How does this panade differ from what North Americans call a dressing/stuffing (other than being cooked outside the bird)?

I became very curious about the use of the word panade to describe the dish linked above.I think in my own mind the difference between that, stuffing/dressing and a savoury bread pudding are as much in the mind of the creator of the dish as anything else. I guess the ingredients also define which of the above it becomes or if it evolves into a breakfast casserole (strata)! Calling Carl Linnaeus. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I became very curious about the use of the word panade to describe the dish linked above.I think in my own mind the difference between that, stuffing/dressing and a savoury bread pudding are as much in the mind of the creator of the dish as anything else. I guess the ingredients also define which of the above it becomes or if it evolves into a breakfast casserole (strata)! Calling Carl Linnaeus. 

Hmmm.

Bread pudding would have eggs even if a savory one?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Hmmm.

Bread pudding would have eggs even if a savory one?

Cannot guarantee that all of them do but this one does.

Savoury bread pudding

And this one.

Edited by Anna N
To add a second link (log)

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

23 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'm having taxonomy problems.  How does this panade differ from what North Americans call a dressing/stuffing (other than being cooked outside the bird)?

In the case of the one that I make, it is a much wetter consistency and vastly different ingredients. I don't have my recipes on this Chromebook, but the panade I make is much like this one, though mine has more wine. https://relish.com/recipes/86770/spinach-and-mushroom-panade

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

In the case of the one that I make, it is a much wetter consistency and vastly different ingredients. I don't have my recipes on this Chromebook, but the panade I make is much like this one, though mine has more wine. https://relish.com/recipes/86770/spinach-and-mushroom-panade

Proof that not all require eggs!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog