• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lloyd Pans: What sorcery is this?

jedovaty

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

fwiw he explicitly compares it to non-stick in that these aren't. they're no doubt nice pans, but they're just anodized aluminum with an aluminum zinc coating, i.e., using a metal tool isn't that surprising

Edited by jimb0 (log)

@Anna N Thanks, their website where I pulled the video from. 

@jimb0 They talk about anodized aluminum, but call the coating "proprietary" and a "water-based release coating".  Bunch of marketing fluff.  So you think it's as simple as an aluminum zinc coating?  Hmmm. 

Why wouldn't this be more popular vs cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel, etc?  I don't see much of this kind of pan at all.

8 hours ago, jedovaty said:

@Anna N Thanks, their website where I pulled the video from. 

@jimb0 They talk about anodized aluminum, but call the coating "proprietary" and a "water-based release coating".  Bunch of marketing fluff.  So you think it's as simple as an aluminum zinc coating?  Hmmm. 

Why wouldn't this be more popular vs cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel, etc?  I don't see much of this kind of pan at all.

well their website explicitly mentions dura-kote, which is used as a protective coating in all sorts of situations, so i assume that’s what they’re talking about. 

7 hours ago, btbyrd said:

I don't see anything special about these pans. Stainless/carbon/iron pans are metal utensil friendly. If you deglaze any hot pan after cooking protein in it, the fond will come off.

yeah i agree and i mean in the video the guy didn’t say anything special about them either really, just was like this works better for searing meat high heat vs non-stick. which is true but also not unique, as mentioned. 

i dig the handles tho.