• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi all!! 

I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 

Thank you!

Amy

Are they sweetened dried sour cherries?  Dried fruit has very little water and wouldn't get icy, and any sugar in the fruit is already concentrated.  I think the brandy soak should suffice without additional sugar.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Or would adding the water to rehydrate them a little (2 c cherries 1 c water) the reason that they would become rock hard in the ice cream? because of the additional water content? @pastrygirl

Edited by amyneill (log)

yeah you don't want to dilute the sugar too much, I don't remember how fully cherries re-hydrate but I'm sure I've done something similar

maybe 2 c dried (sweetened) sour cherries, 1/2 c (1:1) simple syrup, 1/4 c brandy?  You don't want a ton of extra liquid, that would be a waste of brandy ;)

• Like 1

Forgive me, I'm just a visitor to this topic:  last cherry season I dehydrated a bunch of cherries* and if I were putting them in ice cream I would add them dried.  Maybe chopped up a bit.

*a bunch of cherries dehydrated is not that much.

17 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

yeah you don't want to dilute the sugar too much, I don't remember how fully cherries re-hydrate but I'm sure I've done something similar

maybe 2 c dried (sweetened) sour cherries, 1/2 c (1:1) simple syrup, 1/4 c brandy?  You don't want a ton of extra liquid, that would be a waste of brandy ;)

on the plus side if you have leftover brandy afterwards it makes for a bomb cocktail add

• Like 1
  • Similar Content

• By Janet Taylor
      Ever since Todd talked making cupcakes I have been cupcake crazy. Although, I am not a cake maker but more of a pie person.
      My first dessert that I love that I make is my Coconut Cream Pie w/heavy whipped cream. I don't use low fat anything and probably angioplasties is necessary after this baby.
      My second is Peach Cobbler w/rich vanilla ice cream. I never met a cobbler that I didn't like, but peach is my favorite.
      I don't make these often because I wouldn't be able to get through the front door if I did.
      How about yours?
      .....Janet
    • By cc.canuck
      I'm relatively new to chocolate making but now that I've finally got the hang of tempering (by hand using the seeding method) I'd like to work on incorporating less air during the process.

I mainly make bars at the moment so I can tap out air bubbles after filling but I want to start making dipped biscuits and that's not going to work! I've watched oh so many videos of people stirring their chocolate while tempering and can't pick up any nuances that make their process different to mine, though they clearly have significantly less air in their mixture.

Any ideas how I could fix this problem or should I consider incorporating air bubbles into my biscuit design?
    • By shain
      250-300g dry soba noodles

100g peeled edamame (or peas, or green beans cut into short segments)

300g tofu, cut into small cubes
      2 tbsp soy sauce
      1.5 tsp sugar

3 small cucumbers, julienned
      4-5 small spring onions, thinly sliced
      4 garlic cloves, minced
      apx 4 tsp minced ginger
      3-4 tbsp soy sauce
      2 tbsp miso paste
      2 tbsp sesame paste
      4-5 tbsp lemon juice
      apx 1/3 cup of water
      dry chili flakes to taste
      salt to taste  

Blanch the edamame/peas/beans in salted water and shock in cold water. Drain well.
      Blanch the tofu and drain.
      Mix the tofu with 2 tbsp soy and 1.5 tsp sugar and gently heat in a small pot or in the microwave (the heat helps the tofu absorb the marinade).
      Cook the noodles in plenty of water and wash very well.
      If not serving soon, mix the noodles with a bit of oil.
      If serving all of the amount soon, mix all of the ingredients, otherwise, mix the sauce individually and add it to the noodles and vegetables before serving.
      Add more water as needed to give the sauce a creamy consistency.
      Scatter some toasted sesame seeds for garnish.

• By shain
      ~175g matzo (5 matzo), broken into rough pieces 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly slices 4-5 scallions, chopped 5 eggs 250g milk 150g kashkaval cheese (or similar), grated 100g feta, crumbled 1 tbsp lemon juice, or a little vinegar 1/2 tsp baking powder A pinch of MSG (skip it if you avoid it) Plenty of black pepper Chili pepper, to taste Salt to taste (depends on the saltiness of the cheese, apx 1 tsp)  

The mixture can be made a day ahead. Place broken matzo in a large bowl. Heat the milk and pour over the matzo. This allowes for faster soaking, don't bother heating it if your making the mixture a day ahead. - Meanwhile, saute the leek until very tender. Mix into the matzo. - Make sure the matzo are not hot before mixing in the eggs and other ingredients. Pour into a well battered casserole dish. Lightly flatten. Bake in 200 C for 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned. Brush/top with butter mid-way baking for added crispness. -  I find the dish to taste better, and be more crisp, once reheated. If you wish to, let it chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight before baking it again just until hot and crisp.