• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The ScrapsBook by IKEA. Free PDF download.

Anna N

Click.

“At IKEA, we believe the kitchen is the heart of the home. Unfortunately, it tends to be a wasteful place—but it doesn’t have to be.

That’s why we’ve created the IKEA ScrapsBook—a cookbook dedicated to cooking with the little things we usually throw away. Featuring 50 recipes created in collaboration with chefs across North America and waste-saving tips, all designed to help you live a little more sustainably in your kitchen.Download it for free today below and share your scrappy kitchen creations with us and the world.”

Edited by Smithy
Corrected title spelling (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I just went through this.  There certainly are some novel ideas in there, such as using banana peels.  I admit I have never given them a second thought.  I'm amazed at the ideas these chef's came up with.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

I just went through this.  There certainly are some novel ideas in there, such as using banana peels.  I admit I have never given them a second thought.  I'm amazed at the ideas these chef's came up with.

I just find it interesting and amusing at the same time. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, ElsieD said:

You mean you don't dehydrate, grind, roll, and smoke them? 

• Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, teonzo said:

If they find ways to make banana peels good to eat, then great.

Can’t confirm they are good to eat. And they certainly didn’t come from EMP but from the Scraps Book from IKEA. 

BANANA PEEL BACON 1 2–3 very ripe bananas, still yellow,
with lots of brown spots
3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup 2 1⁄4 tsp (3⁄4 g) chili powder
1⁄4 tsp (1 g) smoked paprika
1⁄2 tsp (21⁄2 g) garlic powder
Remove peels from the bananas (use bananas in baking or smoothies; can be frozen for later use). Scrape off the inside white material with a metal spoon and discard. Cut each peel into 4 long strips.
Put all marinade ingredients into a bowl. Immerse peels in marinade. Let sit for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
2–4 tbsp (30–60 ml) grapeseed oil for frying banana bacon
3 Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for about a minute, and add grapeseed oil to coat the pan. Place the banana peels evenly in the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes per side until golden and bubbles form. Remove from the pan and drain on a paper towel. As the banana bacon cools it will get crispy. Serve warm or at room temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...