• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Pork

3 hours ago, SLB said:

I am hearing a clear direction for my 2021 cooking, I guess I better find me a good starter book. 

There are certainly enough such books out there. However, some are great; some embarrasingly awful. Tread carefully.

First, I would suggest deciding whatyou really want. Chinese as cooked and eaten in China or Chinese-American or Chinese as adapted wherever you live.

Then narrow down further. Do you want an overall picture or to concentrate on a particular style/region? China doesn't have one cuisine. It has many.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Got it. 

I'll probably study the terrain for long past the time this pork will be in my freezer . . . .

There are three different pork-based meatballs that are already in my regular rotation.  One is from Marcella Hazan, it's tiny and gets fried, and then baked into a bech-pasta situation.  Mine have never been as tiny as Ms. Hazan prescribed, I just lose my mind with that; but, still small enough to successfully fry.  

I also make a Mexican pork-beef meatball from Diana Kennedy for "albondiga" soup; this is possibly similar to what @Darienne mentioned upthread.  

And also a pork-forward meatball, which is ultimately flattened to thinner than a pancake for shallow-frying, called a "pachola'.  I think this is also from Diana Kennedy, but I don't remember.  

4 hours ago, SLB said:

As I said, Chinese food is one of the cuisines that I eat almost exclusively out.  Or did, anyway.  

I am hearing a clear direction for my 2021 cooking, I guess I better find me a good starter book. 

Hsiao-Ching Chou -- Chinese Soul Food:  A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More

http://amzn.com/1632171236