• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Pork

SLB

3 hours ago, SLB said:

I am hearing a clear direction for my 2021 cooking, I guess I better find me a good starter book. 

There are certainly enough such books out there. However, some are great; some embarrasingly awful. Tread carefully.

First, I would suggest deciding whatyou really want. Chinese as cooked and eaten in China or Chinese-American or Chinese as adapted wherever you live.

Then narrow down further. Do you want an overall picture or to concentrate on a particular style/region? China doesn't have one cuisine. It has many.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Got it. 

I'll probably study the terrain for long past the time this pork will be in my freezer . . . .

There are three different pork-based meatballs that are already in my regular rotation.  One is from Marcella Hazan, it's tiny and gets fried, and then baked into a bech-pasta situation.  Mine have never been as tiny as Ms. Hazan prescribed, I just lose my mind with that; but, still small enough to successfully fry.  

I also make a Mexican pork-beef meatball from Diana Kennedy for "albondiga" soup; this is possibly similar to what @Darienne mentioned upthread.  

And also a pork-forward meatball, which is ultimately flattened to thinner than a pancake for shallow-frying, called a "pachola'.  I think this is also from Diana Kennedy, but I don't remember.  

4 hours ago, SLB said:

As I said, Chinese food is one of the cuisines that I eat almost exclusively out.  Or did, anyway.  

I am hearing a clear direction for my 2021 cooking, I guess I better find me a good starter book. 

Hsiao-Ching Chou -- Chinese Soul Food:  A Friendly Guide for Homemade Dumplings, Stir-Fries, Soups, and More

http://amzn.com/1632171236

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 9:49 AM, Duvel said:

Leberkäse !

I just made my first batch of this. I followed the recipe down to the last gram. Did have to use nutmeg instead of Mace because it's impossible to find here and used cornstarch, as you suggested, instead of potato starch for the same reason. It didn't turn out as Pink as yours but the texture and the flavor are wonderful. It's something that I am going to be making regularly. The next time I might try it with half beef and haft pork.

20210730_124836.thumb.jpg.39c23304159cfdf1f930fc8e884623c7.jpg

Thank you so much for the recipe. Now if I can just find your recipe for wurstsalat, I will be in business.

Edited by Tropicalsenior
Addition (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I just made my first batch of this. I followed the recipe down to the last gram. Did he have to use nutmeg instead of Mace because it's impossible to find here and used cornstarch, as you suggested, instead of potato starch for the same reason. It didn't turn out as Pink as yours but the texture and the flavor are wonderful. It's something that I am going to be making regularly. The next time I might try it with half beef and haft pork.

20210730_124836.thumb.jpg.39c23304159cfdf1f930fc8e884623c7.jpg

Looks great, @Tropicalsenior !

Nutmeg instead if Mace is a common substitute. Mace is a bit more intense, a bit more floral - you could up the nutmeg a bit if you like. But if you are happy with the results, why bother …

The bright pink color comes from the nitrites in the pink salt - did you use that ? 

Again, great result ! I am happy that somewhere in the far western lands someone makes & enjoys authentic Leberkäse 🤗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The bright pink color comes from the nitrites in the pink salt - did you use that ? 

I did use pink salt but mine is about 3 to 4 years old. I'm not sure what the expiration date is on something like this because mine was bought in bulk.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Duvel said:

someone makes & enjoys authentic Leberkäse 

I grew up on German sausages in Nebraska. It's great to be able to enjoy that unique taste again.

My next project though is going to be @liuzhou's Lorne sausage. I've never tasted it but the flavor profile sounds interesting.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)

6 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I grew up on German sausages in Nebraska. It's great to be able to enjoy that unique taste again.

Nice. Yes the one I get at the Alpine market is not exactly Spam colored but headed in that direction. I think they do theirs in a loaf pan too so you get a bit of barely crust especially on top. Personally I wouldn't go beef esp with your hyper lean beef plus I prefer pork to beef .

Edited by heidih (log)

On 4/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, Duvel said:
On 4/6/2021 at 5:25 AM, AlaMoi said:

@Duvel - thanks for that - and the "tips" - those are the most valuable bits!

Most welcome - and thanks to you I made a batch for lunch 😉

Before ...

33888728-897D-49F5-9BB4-6A87752CCDDB.thumb.jpeg.566ee90490f219a46a86e1e76518d43b.jpeg

55FF2E45-D170-4A82-83FF-BC3D8F4AFB68.thumb.jpeg.c49de964337390501b5a87aa5077ba77.jpeg

It takes a heavy beating

I might not have beaten my pork mixture enough.

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 1:40 AM, Duvel said:

200 g soda water

I finally was able to find Sparkling Water here. These are the three that I have to choose from. The two on the left are club soda the one on the right is mineral water. Which of the three should I be using?

20220217_064448.thumb.jpg.095dca78e29577a7a65e888f77d5fbfa.jpg

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

8 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The one with the most “agressive” bubbles. I’d guess either of the two “club sodas”. Gerolsteiner is not strongly carbonated …

Thank you! I think that would probably be the Canada Dry. The last one that I opened baptized my whole kitchen. Surprisingly, it is also the cheapest.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

Great thread.  I some how missed it.

I love ground pork. Especially in Chinese recipes.     

This crispy Pork stuffed eggplant is really good.   

My favourite meatballs are ground pork with basil and garlic.

Both of these look wonderful especially the ground pork with basil and garlic. You mentioned in your recipes that you fry a little to taste it. I once worked in a deli in a butcher shop where the butchers made their own paté and lunch meat. They would take about a tablespoon, flatten it, and put it in the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds. Instant test! I've done it for years to test the seasonings. It works great.

• 6 months later...

Reviving this to say that all the people saying they use ground pork in Chinese cooking are doing it wrong.  😁

Pork in China is seldom ground but almost always chopped using two cleavers at a time. More akin to a French haché.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

9 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Reviving this to say that all the people saying they use ground pork in Chinese cooking are doing it wrong.  😁

Pork in China is seldom ground but almost always chopped using two cleavers at a time. More akin to a French haché.

What about dumpling fillings?

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Pork in China is seldom ground but almost always chopped using two cleavers at a time

Yeah, I agree some things are just better with a hand copped mince/small cubes, over a meat grinder. I don't purchase grocery ground meats but do have 2 meat grinders. One fits on my stand mixer and one beast semi-commercial. Last batch of chili I hand chopped with a cleaver but I only have one. Worked fine using a big chefs knife back and forth, one or the other. One chopping, chef knife rocking. Similar to taking the time to use a mortal and pestle for fresh herbs, garlic and salt. Adding to beans---nothing better.

I do think emulsification can happen with a mince/ground. The last time I made dumplings was Fall 2018. With a couple friends to take the sting out of the chore. A healthy social afternoon. Same with hand pies, (empanadas), and tamales. 2019 we were all too busy and then covid. 

I have everything I need now to make a big batch for the freezer. But still have a few bags of purchased decent quality so maybe next month. I have the round and square pre-made wrappers in the freezer. 

My go-around using minced for dumplings is emulsification. I have always used my danish dough whisk in one direction about 40-50 aggressive 'spins'. This fella explains it best. Chinese Wontons

I goes against our American mince like a burger to leave it alone and to not over mix. I've never been so aggressive but totally get it. 

7 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

What about dumpling fillings?

Same. Just a finer chop. Almost every day, I pass the largest, most popular dumpling shop in the city and see the prep chefs two cleaver chopping mountains of meat.

Edited by liuzhou (log)