• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ground Pork

SLB

What are you doing with it?  **Besides making sausage, I mean.  

My cookbooks and collected recipes seem to involve, exclusively:  sausage and stuffing for other vegetables (cabbage, peppers. . .).  I have a large array of meatballs I like, maybe I'll sub out the pork for beef.  I'm nervous about that -- I once had a Nigel Slater pork ball forced on me that was an abomination, I don't know what went wrong there, because I certainly do like the meat.  But I was kind of put off of the "pork ball" concept.  

I'm looking for ideas.  

I combine it with ground beef for meatloaf, or stuffed peppers. Dirty rice.  I make a spicy noodle soup with it, along with gochujang, black vinegar, and soy sauce. 

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Fried rice with ground pork.

1767069106_porkfriedrice.thumb.jpg.fe0cde8717e63f6470419c6ff2200e30.jpg

Stuffed mushrooms, stuffed chili peppers, stuffed tofu cubes etc.

819866376_Stuffedstuff.thumb.jpg.8e8bee23fb7de6c0f7a27c2eebfac3ac.jpg

142675640_PorkandShiitakeStuffedBitterMelon.thumb.jpg.e8a2ed2fd8f022693e856e2d57e3d115.jpg

2068707536_PorkStuffedTofuPuffs.thumb.jpg.bb4c5970b8d6ad097364b373a1ba5328.jpg

1840041322_stuffedgreenchilipeppers.thumb.jpg.d79fe841122697fc0029aa6e8b102d27.jpg

and a very popular combination is 茄子肉末 (qié ziròu mò)

1466420286_qieziroumo2.thumb.jpg.5b818bf21db038e638b035e3d7559bce.jpg

Then there are all the stuffed buns and dumplings - baozi, jiaozi, wontons  etc.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

We use it for our version of Chinese dishes which Ed loves.  With long green beans, tofu, Singapore Noodles, eggplant, Hot & Sour soup.  Chinese dishes are the one thing I could make before I 'discovered' cooking and most of our recipes come from Margaret Gin and Alfred E. Castle.  Regional Cooking of China, 1975.  

I also use a combination of ground beef and pork for Mexican style meat balls, used in a variety of ways including Albondigas soup.   My Mexican cookbook, Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, The Complete Book of Mexican Cooking, 1965 is in even worse shape than my Chinese cookbook.  I had never eaten pork, as such, before I got married.  

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Chinese (or Chinese-style) food is one of the cuisines I never do at home.  And, in fact, it's the food that I've been CRAVING from a restaurant since the pandemic has ended my life of going to restaurants.  

Maybe it's time.  I certainly get irritable when it's eggplant season here and they're so cheap I can't help but to buy them, and then five weeks later I would give my kingdom for something that wasn't eggplant.  So, eggplant and ground pork, on deck for late summer . . . .

At a minimum, I can dive into this stuffed vegetable world.  Particularly where I can stuff and then freeze.  

Thank you.  

Edited by SLB (log)

4 minutes ago, SLB said:

Chinese (or Chinese-style) food is one of the cuisines I never do at home.  And, in fact, it's the food that I've been CRAVING from a restaurant since the pandemic has ended my life of going to restaurants.  

Main reason I brought my wok out of retirement; even though I was always cooking some Chinese style stuff, it seemed like the right thing to do.

Also - it works better for certain stir fries, since I tend to make a mess.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The quality o the ground meat as with anything impacts. I only buy it at Chinese butcher case where turn over is high. Weinoo's source quite nice. 

3 hours ago, patti said:

I combine it with ground beef for meatloaf, or stuffed peppers. Dirty rice.  I make a spicy noodle soup with it, along with gochujang, black vinegar, and soy sauce. 

Can you give me more info on the soup please?

• Like 1

I used to make a meat loaf that was one third ground beef, one third ground veal, and one third ground pork. I used to make meat balls with a ground beef and pork mixture. Both very good. But I've pretty much stopped eating beef and also prefer my protein to be a lesser part of my meal these days.

I'm more inclined to use ground pork in Chinese dishes now. I make pot stickers with pork and napa cabbage or pork and Chinese chives, wontons with a mix of minced shrimp and ground pork, or Dan Dan Noodles. Lately I'm hooked on a Dan Dan Noodle soup. The broth is a blend of ham and chicken with a little sesame paste and it's addictive. 

We can buy a nice Berkshire ground pork that seems to have a good balance of fat and works for everything above.

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Leberkäse !

Oh gawd - what a  misnomer. I did not know what it was but it looked good and was made in the back o store still warm Like warm bologna - I was expecting liver taste. Once was enough but I can see it as nostalgic.

• Like 1

we spend a few years in Schweinfurt - definitely Franconia..... and Leberkaese was standard fare.

decided I should look up a recipe and make some for alt Zeit's Zake.

first 3-4 that popped up:

• 600g (1.32 lbs)- Ground Beef
  • 400g (.88 lbs)- Ground Pork
  • 100g (.22 lbs) Pork Belly or Bacon
  • 100g (.22 lbs) Liver

"as posted by a German girl in America"

oh dear.

do they do it differently up nawrth?

Vietnamese caramelized pork. Mixed with ground beef in meatballs and meat loaf. Fresh sausage. Use it in stirfries.

6 hours ago, SLB said:

What are you doing with it?  **Besides making sausage, I mean.  

My cookbooks and collected recipes seem to involve, exclusively:  sausage and stuffing for other vegetables (cabbage, peppers. . .).  I have a large array of meatballs I like, maybe I'll sub out the pork for beef.  I'm nervous about that -- I once had a Nigel Slater pork ball forced on me that was an abomination, I don't know what went wrong there, because I certainly do like the meat.  But I was kind of put off of the "pork ball" concept.  

I'm looking for ideas.  

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

we spend a few years in Schweinfurt - definitely Franconia..... and Leberkaese was standard fare.

decided I should look up a recipe and make some for alt Zeit's Zake.

first 3-4 that popped up:

• 600g (1.32 lbs)- Ground Beef
  • 400g (.88 lbs)- Ground Pork
  • 100g (.22 lbs) Pork Belly or Bacon
  • 100g (.22 lbs) Liver

"as posted by a German girl in America"

oh dear.

do they do it differently up nawrth?

Yeah ... pretty much 😜

I use pure pork. No beef, no cured meat (because you put curing salt anyway) and definitely no liver. But everything suffer a sea change when removed from its home turf ...