• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggstatic about eggs

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Talking of eggs and technical names.

Does anyone know the correct technical/scientific name for the membrane between the egg shell and the white other than "the membrane between the egg shell and the white"?

I've been looking for years and never got a convincing answer.

I realize you like precision but "shell membrane" does not cut it with you? https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1153&context=foodmicrostructure

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I realize you like precision but "shell membrane" does not cut it with you? https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1153&context=foodmicrostructure

Yes, I read that before. It just tells me they can't find the name either!

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, SLB said:

But I struggle with one aspect of eggs -- the chalaza, that . . . thing that connects the yolk to the egg-white.  I cannotCannotCANNOT tolerate having that thing in my mouth, it induces gagging or worse.   I have never heard anyone make this complaint before, so I assume it really doesn't bother people.... They can be removed, but it is a pain in the butt.  I hate it when I hate something that other people are fine to eat.  

I've seen Jacques Pepin remove the chalaza (with his hands). I forgot what he was making.

Some people strain eggs (raw, scrambled eggs on fine mesh) before using the eggs in their final product. I am guessing the purpose of straining is to remove the chalaza.

The chalaza is creepy to me as well. I sometimes remove them.

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Or to parrot Utwo maybe there is no name.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

it may bug you, but avian eggshell membrane is what academic papers use when they're discussing the two layers, so i think you're going to have to resign yourself to it

13 hours ago, jimb0 said:

it may bug you, but avian eggshell membrane is what academic papers use when they're discussing the two layers, so i think you're going to have to resign yourself to it

No! I think they should call it the "Liuzhou Membrane" in recognition of my contribution to science by pointing out the missing nomenclature! After all, they have names for everything else. Even things they haven't yet proved even exist and we couldn't see if they ever do. What has the liuzhou membrane done to deserve such disrespectful oversight?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto