• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggstatic about eggs

liuzhou

24 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

If it's any consolation, my sister was, until now, the only person I knew who bothered by the chalaza the same way you are.  So there are two of you.

That is some consolation, it really is.  Thank you.  

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Talking of eggs and technical names.

Does anyone know the correct technical/scientific name for the membrane between the egg shell and the white other than "the membrane between the egg shell and the white"?

I've been looking for years and never got a convincing answer.

I've also been curious about that over the years, and have looked sporadically for an answer. Every other membrane inside the shell seems to have a specific name, but that one doesn't. It apparently has two layers, with the prosaic (and unsatisfying) designations of "inner" and "outer" membranes.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Talking of eggs and technical names.

Does anyone know the correct technical/scientific name for the membrane between the egg shell and the white other than "the membrane between the egg shell and the white"?

I've been looking for years and never got a convincing answer.

I realize you like precision but "shell membrane" does not cut it with you? https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1153&context=foodmicrostructure

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I realize you like precision but "shell membrane" does not cut it with you? https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1153&context=foodmicrostructure

Yes, I read that before. It just tells me they can't find the name either!

• Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, SLB said:

But I struggle with one aspect of eggs -- the chalaza, that . . . thing that connects the yolk to the egg-white.  I cannotCannotCANNOT tolerate having that thing in my mouth, it induces gagging or worse.   I have never heard anyone make this complaint before, so I assume it really doesn't bother people.... They can be removed, but it is a pain in the butt.  I hate it when I hate something that other people are fine to eat.  

I've seen Jacques Pepin remove the chalaza (with his hands). I forgot what he was making.

Some people strain eggs (raw, scrambled eggs on fine mesh) before using the eggs in their final product. I am guessing the purpose of straining is to remove the chalaza.

The chalaza is creepy to me as well. I sometimes remove them.

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Or to parrot Utwo maybe there is no name.

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

it may bug you, but avian eggshell membrane is what academic papers use when they're discussing the two layers, so i think you're going to have to resign yourself to it

13 hours ago, jimb0 said:

it may bug you, but avian eggshell membrane is what academic papers use when they're discussing the two layers, so i think you're going to have to resign yourself to it

No! I think they should call it the "Liuzhou Membrane" in recognition of my contribution to science by pointing out the missing nomenclature! After all, they have names for everything else. Even things they haven't yet proved even exist and we couldn't see if they ever do. What has the liuzhou membrane done to deserve such disrespectful oversight?

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 months later...

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation.  Chickens apparently were introduced to the Middle East by Romans.  The yolk is being saved for DNA analysis.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation.  Chickens apparently were introduced to the Middle East by Romans.  The yolk is being saved for DNA analysis.

With no clue, i would challenge the idea of chickens being introduced to the middle east by the Romans. Chickens, I mean, what we grow for eggs and meat, is the domestication version of Gallus gallus, a species that only lives as a wild species in south east Asia, so thinking of spreading of the domestic fowl, they should have arrived to the middle east before they arrive to Roman. I would see that could have happen to ducks, but i reckon there is also ancient information from Egypt in regards duck consumption (and fattening)

Some other species now considered in the western word, that we have easy access to their eggs, to me only quails came to mind. Still, at least in Europe, it is mostly Japanese quail Coturnix japonica, (a bit larger and more productive in eggs than the european- C. coturnix), and oin other place some quails for North America I reckon are used too for egg production.

cheers

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel. 

This?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now, I'm bad to keep stuff for way too long in my fridge. But I can't touch this.

• Haha 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I read today that a 1000 year egg has been found in Israel.  No tea leaves were harmed in its preservation. 

Sadly. Since century eggs are nowhere to be found...

• Haha 1

~ Shai N.