• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggstatic about eggs

liuzhou

I guess Chinese don't have much recipes without soy sauce, if there are any :) 

That's a common misconception in the West.  (Ditto that soy sauce is to be poured onto everything on the plate, no matter what is on the plate)

There are many recipes where soy sauce is not used.  Personal preferences also enter into this issue.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to pick up a cookbook or two on Chinese cuisine one day, of whatever regionality, and browse through it?  (Preferably written by a chef-author who is either Chinese or knowledgeable about the various cuisines :-) ) 

That's a common misconception in the West.  (Ditto that soy sauce is to be poured onto everything on the plate, no matter what is on the plate)

There are many recipes where soy sauce is not used.  Personal preferences also enter into this issue.  Perhaps it might be worthwhile to pick up a cookbook or two on Chinese cuisine one day, of whatever regionality, and browse through it?  (Preferably written by a chef-author who is either Chinese or knowledgeable about the various cuisines :-) ) 

Thanks for clearing that up. My statement about soy sauce was more like a joke than any serious intention, sorry if I offended you. Note taken. :)

member of London's Fantastic Services - oven cleaning branch

• 6 years later...

i hate running out of eggs. almost as much as i hate running out of butter or cream. so i just went and added 7 dozen to this week's farm order. it's not like they're going to go bad before i get to them.

image.jpeg.fe69f5495df98ce61e91f3c90fc9e073.jpeg

lots of plans for these eggs: gonna do some doughnut dough later today. thinking about some french coffee buttercream. maybe some cookies. and to say nothing of the fried eggs that are a several-times-a-week part of our general rotation. what do y'all like to do with your eggs?

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Egg Foo Yung is a favorite.  Scramble them for the dogs.  (Two giant dogs.) Fried eggs on Sundays...Ed cooks them French Canadian style...or the way his French-Canadian Mother cooked them anyway...  Pannukakku, Finnish pancakes take lots of eggs.  

Used to hate eggs.  Had a run-in with an English baby-sitter and a soft boiled eggs when a youngster.  OK.  It did go down....and then it came up.  Avoided eggs for decades.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I twitch when low on eggs. The line at pharmers market is crazy re eggs. They put up pics o the girls and tell stories while we wait. Any style in the a.m. keeps me going hours into day. On a bad day a simple egg salad is soothing in the evening. Egg sandwiches were my Harriet the Spy almost daily as a very young kid. And when nothing appeals re dinner - something shakshuka like works. um yes keyboard issue persists- but improving.

• Like 3

Oh and the magic that is meringue cookies has been a mainstay since childhood. Yolks in citrus curd.  In general I want to really taste "egg" - so an eggy mayo is my mayo loving choice.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, heidih said:

something shakshuka like works.

big shak fan over here. lately i’ve been cooking shakwiches where i make a scoopable, spicy tomato sauce early in the day or pull leftovers of the same from the fridge. then toast a long, thick slice of bread, butter it, spread on some tomato, slide on two soft yolk fried eggs, top with herbs, salt, and pepper. comes together in about five minutes and hits all the things i like about shak. 

• Like 2

Egg bites made in the Instant Pot. I also use local "farm eggs." My go-to is bacon + spinach + Jarlsberg. I'm due for another batch after I pick up some cottage cheese tomorrow.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

My SIL lives out in the country and has chickens.  This has been the situation for at least 3 years.  We just put it together and realized we could get eggs from her when she offered a dozen to Mr. Kim when they were both at his dad's last week 🙄.  I adore eggs - all the simple breakfast methods: OM, basted, poached, hard cooked, soft cooked, scrambled, omelets.  I also love egg salad, eggs in tuna salad, quiche.  Not a shakshuka fan - I don't much like eggs or seafood in tomato sauce.  I love that we are getting eggs now that I know are from happy chickens.  Her chickens are not eaten - they just provide lovely eggs and in return get loved and petted.  

IMG_5407.jpg.5c106a6470c6e51e35eed33b466df728.jpg

• Like 10

I resolved the "chicken or egg" paradox.

Had a few old eggs which needed to be used, and 1/2 of a supermarket roasted chicken which stared at me every time I opened the refrigerator.

So I made egg and chicken fried rice.

It was a very good combination.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

yeah, buying happy chicken eggs is pretty important to me and i just put anything extra i spend down to the cost of doing business. commercial eggs are just kind of a heinous operation a lot of the time.

i've used ten already: 2 went into a shakwich for supper last night for my so, and 8 more went into the buttermilk brioche for the doughnuts. the doughnut dough has been sitting out since yesterday; i'm going to give 'er another turn then put it in the fridge for tomorrow. i'll probably split it in half because i don't want to spend the entire day frying doughnuts: this is a big batch of dough, and it should freeze perfectly well.

18 hours ago, Alex said:

Egg bites made in the Instant Pot. I also use local "farm eggs." My go-to is bacon + spinach + Jarlsberg. I'm due for another batch after I pick up some cottage cheese tomorrow.

curious; it seems like ten minutes at pressure would be a long time for eggs. 10 minutes is what i put in for sausages and they come out very hot.

Edited by jimb0 (log)
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

yeah, buying happy chicken eggs is pretty important to me and i just put anything extra i spend down to the cost of doing business. commercial eggs are just kind of a heinous operation a lot of the time.

i've used ten already: 2 went into a shakwich for supper last night for my so, and 8 more went into the buttermilk brioche for the doughnuts. the doughnut dough has been sitting out since yesterday; i'm going to give 'er another turn then put it in the fridge for tomorrow. i'll probably split it in half because i don't want to spend the entire day frying doughnuts: this is a big batch of dough, and it should freeze perfectly well.

curious; it seems like ten minutes at pressure would be a long time for eggs. 10 minutes is what i put in for sausages and they come out very hot.

Perhaps the cottage cheese in the mixture calls for a longer cooking time, also that it's in a covered cooking mold. I've even forgotten to do the pressure release after ten minutes and the bites still turned out just fine.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

48 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

chickens and ducks are sadly banned here though i'm increasingly considering an illicit duck operation

Kinda hard to hide the girl duck quack sound. The boys do that low bleat. Girls - HELLO

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, heidih said:

Kinda hard to hide the girl duck quack sound. The boys do that low bleat. Girls - HELLO

haha, true. i have pretty easygoing neighbours, generally; i figure i can probably get away with keeping three or four especially since ducks sometimes land in our yard anyway. though i'd definitely need to keep their wings clipped.

No shortage of wild ducks and geese in my vicinity.  One house I pass on the way to work keeps free range chickens.  Kind of surprised I've never seen one run over.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, jimb0 said:

haha, true. i have pretty easygoing neighbours, generally; i figure i can probably get away with keeping three or four especially since ducks sometimes land in our yard anyway. though i'd definitely need to keep their wings clipped.

Do share pics. My Khaki Campbell laid the prettiest color eggs. Husband took them to work and the ladies - Southern=  loved to bake with them and share their classics. He building their clean rooms and they as aerospace techs - topic o conversation - duck eggs.

• Like 3

Love eggs and am almost never without any. Mostly hard boil them in batches, as I'm not a fan of runny yolks and absolutely despise whites that are too jiggly for my taste. After boiling, I keep them in my fridge. I like them with mayonaise, especially kewpie. Either as a snack, in a soup or curry, or sliced up in a sandwich. My regular bread is sliced whole wheat, but for nostalgic reasons I will use a soft whole wheat bun with a Dutch style mayo (which is sweeter). Another variation is the Dutch broodje gezond, meaning healthy sandwich. This is a combination of gouda style cheese, ham, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and egg. I leave out the ham and don't use any butter, because I prefer the sweeter mayonaise instead. If you decide to order this in a Dutch snackbar, please beware of the difference between mayonaise and fritessaus. Fritessauce is a sort of diet version of mayonaise, which I don't recommend. You're already ordering non-fried stuff in a snackbar, don't skimp on that mayonaise too!

Second comes the fried egg. Either sunny with cooked yolk or as something that I refer to as an omelet, but is probably cooked to death too much to please a French person. This ends up as a sandwich or is served next to fried rice. I keep forgetting I can fry the egg with the rice most of the time. Sometimes the omelet gets a masala treatment. My SO likes to incorporate cheese.

Third is every now and then, the Spanish tortilla. You probably guessed it, no runny center here. Also because I like to bring it as lunch for outings like picknicks on hot days.

Oh and almost as much, scrambled eggs. These are almost exclusively for making egg and chive dumplings.

My SO just made wentelteefjes, which literally translates as turning bitches. You might now it as pain perdu or French toast. It's one of his favourite things. Me, not so much. But I'm not complaining, especially not when he uses special bread to make it and doesn't make them too eggy. Friesian sugarbread, stewed pears and cinnamon ice cream make a nice combo. This Easter he found a stollen with almond paste, amarena cherries and hazelnuts at Lidl. There was a ricotta and pear ice cream from Lidl's Italian week lurking in the freezer. Not bad 😄

Edit: I forget to mention memories of painting eggs for Easter in my oma's kitchen. There was also a time when we painted the eggs at school and blew the contents out of a little hole in the shell. This hung in the kitchen for ages. I should check if it's still there.

Edited by CeeCee (log)
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, Alex said:

I'm fortunate to have a regular source for eggs from happy chickens, from the farm that supplies most of my meat (all my beef, all my chicken, a fair amount of my pork). Yes, they're three bucks a dozen, vs. the $1.29 +/- I'd pay at the grocery. No matter. I'll happily spend $3 a dozen so one chicken, somewhere, doesn't have to spend its life at the equivalent of forced labor in inhumane conditions. 

I'll use six or so eggs a week in breakfast muffins, etc. Child A will eat an egg sandwich on an average of once a week (two eggs per). I'll boil eggs to put in potato salad, or on the occasion I want egg salad, or when I'm attempting a softboiled egg over asparagus (how in the blue hell do you PEEL a softboiled egg, anyway? I'm never successful. All tips appreciated.) . I must confess, not very often do I want a scrambled or fried egg on its own, for breakfast or another meal, but when I want it, I want a good, local, farm egg with an almost-orange yolk, the taste is not comparable to a grocery store egg. After I read on here, years ago, about duck eggs, I commenced buying duck eggs when I found them available, and still do, when I can get them. 

Guinea eggs are a taste treat, and I have come to love quail eggs; I have some in the fridge now, and plan to boil them and make Scotch eggs with them. Those are hard to beat, with some spicy mustard to dip.

The most sublime egg dish I ever ate was at Brennan's in NOLA -- Eggs Tartare, i.e., egg yolks cooked sous vide to pastuerize, but still liquid. Poured in a pool on a plate; grilled shrimp surrounding a tangle of crisply fried sweet potato strings. Have mercy! They billed it as an appetizer, and I had eggs Hussarde after that. Like Benedict, but with a red wine sauce. Thank God I have good cholesterol.

I commend to any of y'all Michael Ruhlman's book on eggs. A classic. I'm glad I have it.

The two dozen farm eggs I picked up yesterday, reposing restfully in my fridge, make me smile.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

23 minutes ago, kayb said:

I commend to any of y'all Michael Ruhlman's book on eggs. A classic. I'm glad I have it.

Currently available on amazon.ca  (Kindle edition) for $4.99

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I eat a lot of eggs, them being a tasty and relatively cheap protein (I eat a lot of protein).  

But I struggle with one aspect of eggs -- the chalaza, that . . . thing that connects the yolk to the egg-white.  I cannotCannotCANNOT tolerate having that thing in my mouth, it induces gagging or worse.   I have never heard anyone make this complaint before, so I assume it really doesn't bother people.   Which is so hard for me to understand.  

They are a LOT less thick and nasty in older grocery-store eggs than in farm-fresh eggs, so maybe that's why it's not a problem for the masses.

They can be removed, but it is a pain in the butt.  I hate it when I hate something that other people are fine to eat.  

Edited by SLB (log)

10 minutes ago, SLB said:

I eat a lot of eggs, them being a tasty and relatively cheap protein (I eat a lot of protein).  

But i struggle with one aspect of eggs -- the chalaza, that . . . thing that connects the yolk to the egg-white.  I cannotCannotCANNOT tolerate having that thing in my mouth, it induces gagging or worse.   I have never heard anyone make this complaint before, so I assume it really doesn't bother people.   Which is so hard for me to understand.  

They are a LOT less thick and nasty in older grocery-store eggs than in farm-fresh eggs, so maybe that's why it's not a problem for the masses.

They can be removed, but it is a pain in the butt.  I hate it when I hate something that other people are fine to eat.  

If it's any consolation, my sister was, until now, the only person I knew who bothered by the chalaza the same way you are.  So there are two of you.

Talking of eggs and technical names.

Does anyone know the correct technical/scientific name for the membrane between the egg shell and the white other than "the membrane between the egg shell and the white"?

I've been looking for years and never got a convincing answer.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto