• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Can you add color/flavor to sodium alginate bath?

Tuber magnatum

I have been experimenting with reverse spherification with some success.  I would like to try and "elevate" the technique and wondered if any one had tried colouring and / or adding flavour to the sodium alginate bath.  I was thinking that would enhance the overall  flavour and visual appeal.  I know that with indirect spherification you can mix the flavourful liquid with the sodium alginate, but I'm wanting to keep the inside liquid so need to do reverse spherification.  Does adding anything to the sodium alginate bath effect its gelling properties?  I am curious that I haven't come across any recipes which suggest adding colour / flavour to the bath as that seems like a no brainer as otherwise the gel coating is kind of bland.  I was wondering if that is because it doesn't gel properly when the Calcium doped flavourful liquid is dropped in.

i haven't tried it but a concentrated liquid colouring is probably not going to do too much to impact what you're trying to do. i think you'd get more of what you're looking for by adding the colour to the liquid on the inside, though.