• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Requesting some advice on timing of prep for Dauphinoise

Kim Shook

I'm planning on making these potatoes for Easter.  I'd really like to put them together ahead of time (a few hours before serving - not the day before).  I'd like to know if I can safely put them together and leave them sitting out on the counter for a couple of hours or would it be better to refrigerate and add some time to the cooking time?  Ta! 

• Delicious 1

Since the potatoes are simmered in cream and everything is warm, leaving it out for a few hours doesn't sound like the safest practice. 

OTOH, it will be cooked, and the last time I took my food handler's permit they had extended the window for cooling hot foods from 4 to 6 hours so 1 or 2 at kinda warm then fully cooked probably won't hurt anyone.

Do you really need to pre-cook the potatoes/cream or can you assemble everything cold and just bake a few minutes longer?

• Thanks 1

I've made something similar for a Thanksgiving dinner at someone else's house, so I made it in advance. As I recall, I made it in the morning and stuck it in the fridge, but then it was unrefrigerated for the trip there and an hour or two before baking. It was fine.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm planning on making these potatoes for Easter.  I'd really like to put them together ahead of time (a few hours before serving - not the day before).  I'd like to know if I can safely put them together and leave them sitting out on the counter for a couple of hours or would it be better to refrigerate and add some time to the cooking time?  Ta! 

Sounds like you could leave it out and it would be good to eat for your Easter meal. But I always think about leftovers, wanting to make the leftovers last (not go bad) as long as possible as well. (I don't have great luck with making half 'n' half last a long time in my household.) So, I'd probably refrigerate and add time to the cooking time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Do you really need to pre-cook the potatoes/cream or can you assemble everything cold and just bake a few minutes longer?

I really DO!  I have the worst luck with scalloped/dauphinoise/etc. potatoes.  No matter WHAT I do, if they aren't simmered before baking they do not get cooked enough.  I had given up on them until I found Bourdain's recipe in 2007 that calls for the simmer.  I'd never seen it before and haven't had a problem since.  🤪

• Like 2

If you assemble before cooking the potatoes will brown.

I'd cook so they come out an hour so before dinner and let them sit covered. They'll be plenty hot for an hour or so

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Even if the sliced potatoes are simmered for 10 minutes?

I've not had it happen with par-cooked potatoes (pretty sure it inactivates the enzymes responsible for browning) and I expect being covered in sauce (ie, not in contact with the air) would furnish additional protection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 1 year later...

Thinking of doing Dauphinoise for a dinner to accompany Boeuf Bourguignon / Boeuf en Daube next month but everything needs doing 48 hours in advance. No problem for the BB but how about the Dauphinoise? Prep (simmer) and then chill before cooking or cook fully and then chill before reheating. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, foxtrotzulu said:

Thinking of doing Dauphinoise for a dinner to accompany Boeuf Bourguignon / Boeuf en Daube next month but everything needs doing 48 hours in advance. No problem for the BB but how about the Dauphinoise? Prep (simmer) and then chill before cooking or cook fully and then chill before reheating. Thoughts?

I'd cook fully and then reheat.  I know this works well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

I'd cook fully and then reheat.  I know this works well.

As would I.  Reheat gently in a 325℉ - 350℉ oven, covered to start and uncovered for the last 15 minutes or so.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?