• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for Jacques Pepin recipe

Susanwusan

Hi, many years ago I was watching JP on television making a two colour wonky or wavy looking cake.  He was cutting it this way and that to create the effect, I think the whole thing had a normal position, i.e. it wasn't tilted or anything like that.  Do you know which cake I mean and what it's called?

I don't know what the flavours were, I'm not sure there were two flavours, it might have been one colour sandwiched and the line helped give the effect.  The main thing I'm interested in is how he went about cutting it to achieve the look.  It was a round cake as far as I can remember.

The only other cake that sounds like it might be what you want, that Jacque makes, is the Instant Orange Cake - it's from Heart and Soul - episode "all in the family" - but it was not something I could find the video for - just recipes on Pintrest and a copy of the recipe in Google Books which doesn't allow a link. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The only other cake that sounds like it might be what you want, that Jacque makes, is the Instant Orange Cake - it's from Heart and Soul - episode "all in the family" - but it was not something I could find the video for - just recipes on Pintrest and a copy of the recipe in Google Books which doesn't allow a link. 

Found it  recipe only, (I suppose legally shareable) on Food&Wine site.  Holy Wow, it does sound good!  Just realigned Easter cake/dessert offering this moment.

The episode Heart and Soul, All in the Family is $2.99 to buy (US Amazon) or free with PBS Living 7 day trial.  

Perhaps I shouldn't have called it a recipe since the cake itself doesn't matter, it's more the technique of cutting it this way and that and fitting it together to create the effect that I'm after.  I thought it might have been on his foundation site, but it isn't.  I think now it might have been a guest appearance on somebody else's programme and he did something different for it.

can you explain what the ultimate design looked like? maybe just make a small sketch and upload it in your post? it shouldn't be too hard to help you out once we can figure out what the cake looked like.

Here's the orange cake video...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=430958017951634

Sorry - it's here...

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=3858127590903947&id=127821870601223

Edited by weinoo (log)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, Susanwusan said:

Perhaps I shouldn't have called it a recipe since the cake itself doesn't matter, it's more the technique of cutting it this way and that and fitting it together to create the effect that I'm after.  I thought it might have been on his foundation site, but it isn't.  I think now it might have been a guest appearance on somebody else's programme and he did something different for it.

I wonder if you are thinking of a battenberg or checkerboard cake - but I couldn't see anything by Jacque under these names

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I wonder if you are thinking of a battenberg or checkerboard cake - but I couldn't see anything by Jacque under these names

No. I agree. Something like this reminds me more of Jacques Torres than Jacques Pepin. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm amused looking back at all these various videos about the use of mint as decor in them all!

With Jacques, it's either mint or chives - his garden must be overflowing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

With Jacques, it's either mint or chives - his garden must be overflowing!

He wanted to be inclusive. He knew exactly how many of us were growing angelica or lemon balm. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

i was thinking the same thing.

41 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I know.   That seems so civilized.

agreed. but doesn't everybody have some kind of sweet stashed away in the freezer? there's like a bucket of creme puffs out in the garage filled with coffee creme pat. usually a few individually wrapped slices of cake, etc. 

It was a round cake, and to be honest, I don't remember it exactly, but it was cut less and more irregular than battenburg.  I might have to venture into the world of facebook and ask on his page.  I think it was a curved pattern.

Edited by Susanwusan (log)
  • Like 1