• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Documenting Standard Operating Procedures for Chocolate and Confections

DJ Silverchild

I need to document S.O.P. for all my cannabis confections and the government has to review them. Every flavor of every confection. 

I can document ingredients, equipment, and the steps to take from start to finish, including how I dose products, but is that enough? Can anyone recommend a book or template? 

21 hours ago, DJ Silverchild said:

I need to document S.O.P. for all my cannabis confections and the government has to review them. Every flavor of every confection. 

I can document ingredients, equipment, and the steps to take from start to finish, including how I dose products, but is that enough? Can anyone recommend a book or template? 

unfortunately these sorts of regulations especially for edibles, are going to vary between jurisdictions. you're better off reaching out to the local regulatory body and asking for either a point-by-point checklist or an example document you might be able to work from.

• Like 1

that was not at all clear but the point stands that you should ask your local authority - even just chocolate is not treated the same from state to state as members here will attest. 

if your authorities are anything like ours, they won't have a template, and they won't have any idea on how you should produce the SOP. Trying to get assistance with labelling regulations that my health authorities wanted me to comply with was like getting blood from a stone!

Edited by keychris (log)
  • Like 1

Read up on HACCP - each recipe gets broken down into it's component parts, you look at each step to decide if there are hazards, if those hazards can be controlled by Good Manufacturing Processes or if they are Critical Control Points where something only you can do will control the hazard. 

• Like 1