• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

35 minutes ago, Dan K said:

I am not sure on the shelf life, to be honest. I have never had an issue, and I usually store mine in the fridge or the garage (probably won't do that anymore - ha!) and they get eaten within 3 or 4 weeks. I've been in contact with the county health department to check their regulations, and they want me to test anything that might be "potentially hazardous", so I hope to make some truffles and send in ones that are one week, two weeks, three weeks, and four weeks old to see what they can find. I suspect that they'll all be fine.

4 weeks is a relatively short time and most things should be fine.  But for example today someone picked up a box of bonbons and said it's for a birthday in 3 weeks.  If they've been in my fridge for a couple of weeks, then they go to someone's house for 3 weeks, then maybe the birthday person went keto for the month ... how are they at 8 or 10 weeks?   Or if you do holiday markets, you'll have people wanting to buy gifts in November to give six weeks later, then the recipient saves it til Valentine's.

Can you keep things frozen til ready to sell and give a reasonably confident 6-8 weeks?  Or if it's a month, just make it clear.

Occasionally I'll taste test old bonbons in the name of science (and as an excuse for gluttony) and often they're fine but sometimes there's shrinkage or flavors will fade, even mold. 

I am super paranoid about it, I admit.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

34 minutes ago, Dan K said:

I am not sure on the shelf life, to be honest. I have never had an issue, and I usually store mine in the fridge or the garage (probably won't do that anymore - ha!) and they get eaten within 3 or 4 weeks. I've been in contact with the county health department to check their regulations, and they want me to test anything that might be "potentially hazardous", so I hope to make some truffles and send in ones that are one week, two weeks, three weeks, and four weeks old to see what they can find. I suspect that they'll all be fine.

4 weeks is a relatively short time and most things should be fine.  But for example today someone picked up a box of bonbons and said it's for a birthday in 3 weeks.  If they've been in my fridge for a couple of weeks, then they go to someone's house for 3 weeks, then maybe the birthday person went keto for the month ... how are they at 8 or 10 weeks?   Or if you do holiday markets, you'll have people wanting to buy gifts in November to give six weeks later, then the recipient saves it til Valentine's.

Can you keep things frozen til ready to sell and give a reasonably confident 6-8 weeks?  Or if it's a month, just make it clear.

Occasionally I'll taste test old bonbons in the name of science (and as an excuse for gluttony) and often they're fine but sometimes there's shrinkage or flavors will fade, even mold.  I am super paranoid about it, probably overly cautious.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

9 minutes ago, Dan K said:

Occasionally I'll taste test old bonbons in the name of science (and as an excuse for gluttony) and often they're fine but sometimes there's shrinkage or flavors will fade, even mold.