• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2021 -

heidih

Farfel used instead of bread cubes, mixed with chicken stock and sauteed veg, butter (because we aren’t Kosher) and baked so the top/edges crisp. I prefer it to the more typical kugels, which are dense. Just a nice savory side dish that goes well with borh chicken and beef.  I guess you could look at it as another form of “the bread of our affliction”🤣

• Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

12 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Farfel used instead of bread cubes, mixed with chicken stock and sauteed veg, butter (because we aren’t Kosher) and baked so the top/edges crisp.

What might be pointed out is that the farfel itself may be made in a number of different ways. (As well as being @Pam R's dog's name).

I believe what @BeeZee is referring to might specifically be Matzo Farfel. (Another of the many, shall we shall, tasteless byproducts of matzo itself).

Spruce Eats explains it better than I:

Farfel is an Ashkenazi Jewish egg pasta similar to spaetzle or nokedli, and sometimes referred to as "egg barley." This may sound confusing, but pasta isn't kosher for Passover, so this recipe for matzo farfel, which is simply crushed up matzo crackers, takes its place.

And what better time to bring up a nice memory...of matzo...and days gone by:

Streits: Fresh Baked Matzohs Since 1925

Chag Sameach.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The "gluten free" matzo products were a new one for me today. A guy was upset at the store today as he couldnlt find the gluten free panko for his celiac diagnosed wife. I shunted him over to the "Kosher" aisle and suggested buzzing those as a breading. Life! Ya never know.

• Like 1

Correct, as @weinoo points out, the product I will use is matzoh crushed into small pebbles. The remainder from the canister is destined for a granola-like treatment, which is another way to add flavor, lots of honey/sugar and spices.

• Like 1

I have a philosophical question - one I have thought about for years.  Why is there the restriction on leaven or leavening of dough (which is inactive time, very easy to do in a bag or pot while roaming the desert) but it's ok to have a Pesach dinner with brisket and other foods that need to be cooked for long periods of time?

And one thing I thought about today as I was in Chinatown was how easy it would be for my wife and I to keep the Pesach since we barely eat bread or leavened products anyway.  If rice is ok for the Sephardim, it's fine for my Ashkenazi butt!  So between rice, rice noodles and potatoes, I am set for like 5 months of Pesach. Ha!

Is it sacreligious to have Panang curry after reading the Hagaddah?

Chag Sameach everyone!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I have a philosophical question - one I have thought about for years.  Why is there the restriction on leaven or leavening of dough (which is inactive time, very easy to do in a bag or pot while roaming the desert) but it's ok to have a Pesach dinner with brisket and other foods that need to be cooked for long periods of time?

And one thing I thought about today as I was in Chinatown was how easy it would be for my wife and I to keep the Pesach since we barely eat bread or leavened products anyway.  If rice is ok for the Sephardim, it's fine for my Ashkenazi butt!  So between rice, rice noodles and potatoes, I am set for like 5 months of Pesach. Ha!

Chag Sameach everyone!

There are probably some aging Phd theses iingering in university archives on the subject. From a food culture perspective I firmly believe that tradition is a FORCE. Oh we play at massaging mandates. Catholics do it too with the fish Friday - seriously it is supposed to be a fasting element in Lent but blogs and sites are posting the best of. Humans - silly creatures! Somewhere I thnk the biblical writings may mention eatIng the sacrificial lamb (whose blood was smeared on the door posts) with unleavened bread and bitter greens before fleeing. Brisket - maybe not happening in Egypt but the JewIsh diaspora is pretty bIg and adaptation is a hallmsrk of struggling people, So... ask your Rabbi ;) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

Chag Sameach everyone!

Dude - we only had 18 minutes to get out of dodge. Once we got to where we were going, it was easy enough to make a brisket!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

My flawed Presbyterian understanding of kosher laws is that overall they were meant to set the Jews apart as a distinct people who were God's own. Leavening was an example of how a little bit of something foreign can change the whole and make it impure.

Edited by gfweb (log)

I made a very large pot of black-eyed peas for our very large family Passover gathering last night and tonight. 

Used frozen black eyes  instead of the dried.   We are Sephardic so peas and beans are ok on our kosher for  Passover  list of foods    

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

My flawed Presbyterian understanding of kosher laws is that overall they were meant to set the Jews apart as a distinct people who were God's own. Leavening was an example of how a little bit of something foreign can change the whole and make it impure.

Oh boy...that's what they taught you?!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Oh boy...that's what they taught you?!

My nuns were different since  they'd fled Germany between WW1 and 2 to settle and teach in the U.S.  They emphasized "the flight from Egypt' focused on empathy and - yes - take the unleavened bread and run. Catholicism is so riddled with symbolism us kids just took it as "oh ok - makes some kind of sense". Plus those matzo sheets seemed "exotic" yet vaguely reminiscent of the tasteless communion wafer. 

So the array of gluten free matzo products struck me as new but maybe I've just missed it in the past. Marketing?

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

The only time I had heard that Jews were "God's chosen people" was from a Catholic priest.  Never in my 5 years of Hebrew school...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

If this is too far off base, please forgive me.

This is the 1st time that I can remember that The Ten Commandments is not on ABC on Holy Saturday. 

I think ya missed it  https://www.channelguidemag.com/tv-news/2022/04/09/saturday-april-9-when-is-the-ten-commandments-on-tv-2022/

29 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ah, thanks.  Last weekend I was in Minneapolis playing with grandkids.  Not a bad tradeoff. 

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

My daughter gave the 10 month old twins a seder dinner. She crushed walnuts and mixed them into apple sauce. It was served on a matzoh, along with a parsley sprig, which they also ate out of politeness. Then they chowed down on some Jamaican goat curry, which, in fact can be kosher if properly prepped. I suspect this wasn't, but it was quite good.  I've had goat once before, in a taco. Also good. 

• Like 3

As a follow up, the Shiksa enjoyed her first bowl of matzoh ball soup. She's thinking of converting for the food, now😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BeeZee said:

As a follow up, the Shiksa enjoyed her first bowl of matzoh ball soup. She's thinking of converting for the food, now😁

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

That's better than converting for the jokes.

The whole Ashkenazic canon awaits.

Tasty Travails - My Blog