• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2021 -

heidih

Right around the corner. I am not Jewish but relatives are.  I enjoy reading the menus which as many holidays are - steeped in tradition, but new twists arise. Your plans?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title to allow for multiple years (log)
  • Like 1

It will just be 5 of us who are fully vax'd - at my house. Mom is making brisket and macaroons (dipped in chocolate), I'll also buy some ice cream. I plan to make matzo ball soup, but if I don't have time (super swamped with work issues) will make salad. I'm also making citrus chicken, since I don't eat beef, and we like the leftovers. Roasted potatoes (simple). Haroset is the traditional apple/walnut/cinnamon variety (I'll eat the leftovers mixed in to oatmeal or yogurt). Vegetable is still unknown, since I'm inclined to see what looks good when I get to the supermarket (DH has requested no more asparagus, we've eaten it too often). Might make roasted broccoli and a tahini dressing to drizzle, since we aren't so strict and sesame seeds are O.K. for me.

• Like 6

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

“Granola” made with matzo farfel. It is a bit dark because it was whole wheat farfel. Actually addictive. I am using it to sprinkle on green salad with strawberries as our starter. 

26D0A3A2-7D57-4115-95DB-C52B8AA29135.jpeg

• Like 5

I may be asking something really stupid, but wouldn't you start with lamb and bitter greens, as the good Book suggests? (pardon me, I come from Catholic tradition, but I do honour our forefathers in faith)- for the lack of better proposal I would start the meal with the serving of black kale (tuscan variety) with white beans on a toast (IlboccaTV has video on the subject- as a sort of poor man's diet) A roast of lanb should round that off quite nicely.

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

@Wolf the bitter greens would be fine.

One does not serve lamb for a seder dinner (I suggest googling for more detail, probably not appropriate to post here as it would send us into a discussion about religion). Depending on whether or not the diners are Sephardic or Ashkenazi, beans may or may not be ok for Passover (search kitniyot for more information).

Now there's a phrase I never expected to read:

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

11 hours ago, weinoo said:

Matzo ball ramen.

Now I fancy me some stir fried matzo balls. Or maybe matzo ball tteokbokki.

I surely should make it a resolution to eat more dumplings.

• Like 3

~ Shai N.

Matzo cubes.

We like ours with a byte to them, just airy enough to float and absorb broth, but defiantly not tender. I flavor mine with lots of pepper, some dill and a bit of nutritional yeast.

PXL_20210327_105737299.jpg

Here's how they look pre-slicing. The shape is a bit silly, but it saves so much work, and no body complained yet. Though I don't think my grandma would approve.

PXL_20210327_103120558.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Anyone want my extra Joyva ring jells?  Actually, anything more than 1 or 2 is extra. (God, are they gross).

yeah they are.  if it wasn't tradition, I assume they'd be out of business!

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Anyone want my extra Joyva ring jells?  Actually, anything more than 1 or 2 is extra. (God, are they gross).

Had to look them up before offering to take them off your hands – – offer withdrawn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Had to look them up before offering to take them off your hands – – offer withdrawn!

I looked them up too, and I'm sure I've inadvertently eaten similar candies. Isn't there something like that in Bridge Mix? Horrid. If you like them you probably like Raisinettes too.

Oh my - raisinettes and black licorice were my movie munchies. Tradition does keep some odd things alive. Hello Halloween candy corn

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Going to my parents’ house. There will be 9 of us, including my stepson’s fiance who was raised devoutly Christian and is now more or less agnostic, it is her first Passover experience. I will be making farfel dressing with mushrooms and a simple apple/walnut charoset to bring.

• Like 1