• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

I have a philosophical question - one I have thought about for years.  Why is there the restriction on leaven or leavening of dough (which is inactive time, very easy to do in a bag or pot while roaming the desert) but it's ok to have a Pesach dinner with brisket and other foods that need to be cooked for long periods of time?

My flawed Presbyterian understanding of kosher laws is that overall they were meant to set the Jews apart as a distinct people who were God's own. Leavening was an example of how a little bit of something foreign can change the whole and make it impure.

gfweb

gfweb

14 hours ago, KennethT said:

I have a philosophical question - one I have thought about for years.  Why is there the restriction on leaven or leavening of dough (which is inactive time, very easy to do in a bag or pot while roaming the desert) but it's ok to have a Pesach dinner with brisket and other foods that need to be cooked for long periods of time?

My Presbyterian understanding of kosher laws is that overall they were meant to set the Jews apart as a distinct people who were God's own. Leavening was an example of how a little bit of something foreign can change the whole and make it impure.